Arms Reach
by Andrea Castro

Chapter 4 - The Mess Hall 
 

Tom and B'Elanna walked into the Mess Hall and every eye went to B'Elanna . " Ignore them . " Tom whispered and led her to the table where Harry was . " Hey , Harry . B'Elanna , this is your best bud Harry Kim . " 
B'Elanna seemed a little nervous around Harry She was remembering what happened to her in the prison but remembered that Tom said that Harry was her friend so she began to calm down. " We'll be right back . " Tom said placing a hand on B'Elanna's shoulder . " Harry .. " Tom said then shaking his head up to the Galley . 

Harry followed Tom and B'Elanna sat at the table trying to ignore the people starring at her right now . " How's she doing ? " Harry asked . " This is going to be hard for her , Harry . And twice as hard on me. She asked me about her father this morning . " Tom said . " What did you tell her ? " 
" What do you think ? I told her the truth . I can't lie to her Harry . I hate having to tell her all this . " Tom mumbled .

B'Elanna turned and saw these two twins starring at her and whispering , and she was getting pissed. They had been staring at her since she walked in here . " Why don't you two take a picture? It'll last longer ! " She yelled at them . Tom and Harry heard B'Elanna's comment and turned around . ' The Delaney's ' Tom thought . 
B'Elanna turned to face Tom and gave him that ' it's nothing ' look so he went back to talking to Harry. 

" So... what's the next trip down memory lane ? " Harry asked . " Well after she gets to know you ... I could tell her about when Gaunt Gary flirted with her or when she was split in two by the Vidiians . Which do you think is better , Harry ? " Tom asked . " Neither." Harry sighed . 

" Ahh ... Lieutenant , Ensign . What can I get you ? " The Talihina asked . " We need something to eat . I'm sure B'Elanna hasn't had anything in a while . " Harry said . " I have just the thing . Well , it 's the only thing I have left. Leola root stew . " Neelix said then going back into the Galley . " Do you have any rations ? " Tom asked . " We used them all up yesterday. " Harry whispered . Neelix came back out with three trays and handed two to Harry and one to Tom . " Ok , we're taking this too . " Tom said then grabbing the coffee pot and three cups . 

" Ok , we might end up killing you if you eat this . " Harry said . " He's kidding , right ? " B'Elanna asked Tom . " Uh.. well it's a 50 - 50 chance . " Tom smiled . " Okay ... I'll pass . " B'Elanna replied . " B'Elanna you have to eat 
something . How long has it been since you had food ? " Harry asked . " I don't know .. a couple of days . " She replied . 

" Eat , B'Elanna . " Harry sighed. B'Elanna reluctantly picket up the fork and looked at Tom . " Hold it like this . " He said placing it the right way . She scooped up a piece of the stew and took a bit . The look on her face told everyone that it was disgusting . " Ok ... is it supposed to be sour ? " She asked while she slowly swallowed it . " Drink this . " Tom said then pouring her a cup of coffee. She took it eagerly and drank some . " Ok.. hot ! But it's better than this stuff . " She muttered . 

" Look , when we get enough replicator rations we'll make it up to you . " Tom smiled then took a sip of his coffee. 
" You better . " She warned them . " When we're done , why don't we go to the Holodeck ? " Harry suggested . " Not Sandrines , Tom " Harry said . " Why ? Why not Sandrines ? " B'Elanna said . " We are going to Sandrines and don't change anything alright ? " B'Elanna said raising an eyebrow . " Oh , God . " Tom whispered . 
' Gaunt Gary here we come ' He thought . 
 

TBC