DEFECTIVE
By T’Pam

Disclaimer: Voyager and its crew belong to Paramount. I’m only borrowing them for a while and will return them to their regularly scheduled program later. No profit will be made, as this is just for fun.
 

Part Four

"Captain, we have a problem." Harry hurried into the ready room as the Captain and Chakotay looked up in surprise. "The Regallian First Minister has just refused Tom’s request to see the Doc."

"Damn it! Why?"

"He says that the Doc’s technology is not known to them and so could be perceived as a threat."

The Captain jumped up from her desk and started to pace in agitation. "Our whole plan rests on the Doctor. We have to find some way to change the Minister’s mind."

Chakotay sat back thoughtfully. "Ambassador Persher told us that Tom could have anything he wanted, see anybody he wished, except Seven of Nine. Now they’re going back on that. We could put in a formal complaint. They take all that sort of stuff very seriously. They’d be forced to hold an enquiry into the matter and who knows? We may be able to persuade them."

"I don’t think they’re allowed to do that," Harry replied slowly.

"What? Be persuaded to change their minds?"

"No Commander. Refuse Tom’s request."

Janeway sighed. "Unfortunately, they are. Their laws state that they can refuse one request from an impending treatment patient. Obviously this will be their one refusal."

"Okay, so we can use that to our advantage," Chakotay said eagerly. "They can’t refuse anything else Tom asks, so maybe we can find another way to get the emitters down there."

"They scan everything that we transport, so this was the only way since they don’t understand holo-technology." Janeway sat back down dejectedly. "Besides, how do we get a message through to Tom? B’Elanna’s positive his room is being monitored."

"Neelix is about to go down to see him. Perhaps he can sneak something through."

The Captain shook her head. "We can’t take the chance of letting Tom in on the plan. If the Regallians found out, all would be lost. Harry, contact the First Minister again. I’ll see if I can plead a case for the Doctor. Something along the lines of how cruel they are acting to stop Tom from seeing someone so important to him, just because they don’t understand a certain technology. And if that doesn’t work, we’ll put in a formal complaint."

"Um, Captain - I must be missing something here," Harry said in confusion. "Didn’t the Commander say that the Ambassador had refused to let Tom see Seven? If that’s the case, isn’t this their second refusal?"

"Yes the Ambassador did say he couldn’t see Seven. But Tom never actually asked to. The Ambassador didn’t refuse an actual request."

The Captain leaned forward eagerly. "Chakotay, what exactly was said?"

"Let me think a minute. The Ambassador told me that Tom was allowed to have three of the people he felt closest to at the ceremony. He said to Tom that he could have anyone he wanted, except for the Borg creature."

"What did Tom say to that? This could be very important."

"He defended her. Told the Ambassador that she was no longer in the collective."

"Did he say anything else?"

"He said the Ambassador knew nothing about her. He was a little sarcastic to him actually."

"That doesn’t surprise me."

"When the Ambassador made some remark about her being defective, that’s why Tom was defending her, Tom said the only thing defective was the Ambassador’s attitude."

"That’s good. Really good. So the Ambassador acknowledged that Tom was defending Seven?"

Chakotay nodded. "What are you planning? I can see that gleam in your eye."

"Whatever it takes, Commander," she smiled. Getting up again, she headed out of the room. "Harry, well done." She clasped his arm as she passed him on her way to the bridge. "Hail the Regallians. Tell them I need to speak to the First Minister and Ambassador Persher immediately."

Harry trotted out behind her and quickly did as he was bid. "The Regallians have acknowledged your request Captain," he informed her soon afterwards. "They’ve just gone to find the Ambassador."

"Fine," the Captain answered sitting in her chair.

Chakotay sat down as well. "Do you want to tell me what you’re going to do?"

Janeway sighed. "Lie probably. So no matter what I say, don’t look surprised. That goes for all of you," she warned the bridge crew. The woosh of the turbolift doors opening made her turn around as B’Elanna with Seven one step behind her entered. "Good. It’s probably better that you’re both here."

"Captain?" B’Elanna looked slightly confused. "Everything’s set down in Engineering. Carey should be able to handle it from here. We just heard about the Regallians refusal to let us send the Doctor down."

"I’m about to address that. The two of you have to go along with whatever I say. Is that clear?"

"Yes Captain," B’Elanna answered, the confusion still evident in her eyes. Seven merely nodded, her eyebrow raised slightly.

"Captain, the Regallian First Minister is hailing us," Harry told her.

"On screen. First Minister, thank you for answering my request so promptly."

"Captain, I’m sure you want to speak to me about my refusal to allow your holo-imagery Doctor to beam down here. As I have already explained - it is a technology unknown to us. It could be a weapon for all we know."

"Minister, I can assure you, the Doctor is no weapon. I’m quite happy to beam down some technical information about him, as long as I have your word you will not try to duplicate it yourself."

"We are not interested in this defective technology for ourselves," the Minister sneered. "We have no need for it. It is not real, and therefore imperfect."

"So, you are refusing one of Tom’s last requests?"

"That is correct. Our laws allow us to do this - once. We do not do it very often, but in this case, believe it to be for the best."

"The Doctor means a great deal to Tom. They work together---"

Ambassador Persher interrupted her. "Captain, we are aware that Ensign Paris is the Doctor’s assistant and I can understand how an attachment has been formed. However, as the Minister has explained, we have to protect ourselves."

"And this is your final word?" The Ambassador and First Minister both nodded. "Very well, you leave me no choice. I must register a formal complaint."

"That is of course your entitlement," the First Minister said stiffly. "I believe you will be wasting your time, however. There are no grounds for this."

"On the contrary. You have refused to let Tom see two of the people he is closet to. First Seven and now the Doctor."

"I do not understand. Seven? You are speaking of the Borg woman?"

"That’s correct. The Ambassador refused to let Tom see her. I believe that now makes two refusals, not one."

"I can assure you First Minister, Ensign Paris made no formal request to see the Borg creature," Ambassador Persher sputtered indignantly.

"Of course he didn’t. You’d already told him he couldn’t see her. He could have anybody he wanted except her, I think was the way you put it."

"But surely he would not have wanted to have her at his farewell ceremony?" The First Minister looked astounded.

"Well that’s where you’re wrong. She’s his mate. Naturally he would want her there." Out of the corner of her eye she noticed B’Elanna take a step forward.

"His mate? But we were under the impression that Lieutenant Torres is his mate." The Ambassador sounded shocked.

"That’s right," the Captain nodded. "She’s his first mate and Seven’s his second." Her eye caught the movement of B’Elanna taking another step forward. She could also feel Seven’s eyes boring into her back.

"His second?" the First Minister repeated. "You people have more than one mate?"

"Ensign Paris does."

"Can this be true?" The First Minister turned to the Ambassador in astonishment.

The Ambassador shook his head. "He was very defensive of the Borg creature. I did not realize---" he broke off, not sure of himself.

The First Minister glanced around at the bridge crew. "I see you have the Ensign’s two mates there with you. May I speak to them?"

"Of course."

"Lieutenant Torres, if this is true, why were you the only one down here with the Ensign? The Borg did not make a request to come as well."

"We take it in turns." B’Elanna shrugged carelessly. "Today was my turn with him."

"You are happy to share Ensign Paris like this?"

"I’m kept fairly busy with my engines, so this is the perfect arrangement for all of us. He’s worth it, you see." A smothered cough from the communications console reminded B’Elanna to tackle a certain Ensign later, when this was all over and Tom was safely back on board.

The First Minister turned to Seven. "And what about you Seven of Nine? You are Borg. I know you do not lie. This is all true? You are happy with this arrangement?"

"Happiness is irrelevant. The Ensign was one of the first people on board Voyager to treat me in a friendly manner. We have formed an attachment that is mutually beneficial and rewarding."

"I see." The First Minister turned back to the Ambassador. "Please give us a few moments. We need to discuss this. We will contact you as soon as possible." The screen went black.
 

***** ***** ***** ***** ***** ***** ***** ***** ***** ***** *****
 

"Okay, well done," Chakotay grinned. "I almost believed that myself."

B’Elanna glared at him "You should have given me some warning Captain. I nearly ruined it."

"I also would have appreciated a little foreknowledge." Seven said coldly.

"I just hope it worked," the Captain sighed. "If they have to choose between the Doctor and Seven, I think they’ll choose the Doctor."

"So what happens if they decide to go and ask Tom to corroborate this story? Or even worse - Tuvok. He’s still down there with him," Harry asked in concern. "I can just imagine his reaction."

"Hopefully, he’ll realize we’re working on a plan and will play along. He’s pretty quick on the uptake. B’Elanna are the emitters ready to go?"

B’Elanna nodded. "I still can’t duplicate the Doc’s holo-emitter properly. The technology is just too advanced for our replicators. We’ll only get about ten minutes out of each of them. Fifteen at the most."

"That should be enough time. How’s the program coming along?"

"It should be ready shortly," Seven announced. "It is very realistic. As soon as Commander Tuvok returns we will be able to finish it."

"Good. Now it’s your job Seven to keep a lock on Tom at all times. As soon as the transporter lockout is disengaged, get him back up here. Don’t wait for us."

"Yes Captain."

They spent the next few minutes discussing their plan, going over anything they might have overlooked.

"Captain, Commander Tuvok has just beamed back on board," Harry said suddenly.

"Tell him to go straight to the holodeck. Seven, you’d better get back there too. I’ll meet you there as soon as the Regallians have contacted us again."

Seven nodded and hurried towards the turbolift.

"The Regallians are hailing us again," Harry announced a few minutes later.

"Here goes," the Captain said, crossing her fingers. "If they don’t let the Doctor down there, then it’s all been in vain. On screen Harry."

"Captain Janeway." It was Ambassador Persher. "I must offer you my sincere apologies. I have already apologized to Ensign Paris. We of course will have to honor the Ensigns latest request - with a few precautions, naturally."

"Naturally."

"If you would be so kind as to beam down as much technical information about the holographic system as you can, our technicians will look over it as quickly as possible."

"Very well. We’ll start the information transfer immediately." She nodded to Chakotay who proceeded to download the data that B’Elanna had doctored.

"If this all checks out, the holo-image can be transported down as soon as we contact you again. Your Ambassador Neelix is with Ensign Paris now, and will stay with him until a decision is made. It has become apparent that the treatment will have to be rescheduled. It will be held thirty minutes after our next contact."

"Thank you Ambassador," Janeway said as the transmission ceased. She jumped up from her chair. "Chakotay, you have the bridge. I’ll be on the holodeck. When they contact us again, tell them I’m getting ready for the ceremony."

She rushed for the turbolift and impatiently waited for it to take her to her destination. They didn’t have much time to make this as realistic as possible. As soon as the lift doors opened, she was out and running.

"Tuvok," she panted as she reached the holodeck, "I take it Seven’s filled you in?"

"Yes Captain."

"We have just been deciding the most strategic placements for the emitters," Seven told her.

"Captain, I think I should inform you that Ensign Paris and myself almost ruined any chance of the Doctor transporting to the planet," Tuvok confessed.

"Oh? We were hoping that if they asked you about our little story, you would realize that we were planning something and play along."

"We did Captain, only we misinterpreted your intentions. We assumed you wanted Seven of Nine down on the planet for some reason and so proceeded to persuade them of this."

"I see."

"Mr. Paris made a very impassioned plea, I must say."

"I can imagine. Well it was lucky they didn’t listen. They must really hate the Borg."

"That is one reason I believe this idea may work. They become totally illogical at the mention of the Borg. The Ambassador was quite scathing in his attack on Mr. Paris’s morals. Unfortunately, Mr. Paris is of the belief that whatever you were attempting to set into motion has been prevented. He was quite dispirited when I left him."

"I wish we could let him know what we’re planning, but we can’t take the chance. The Regallians mustn’t be allowed to suspect anything. Now, send the Doctor the information on where you want the emitters to be placed and then we’ll run through the program and see if we can find any flaws."

Two run-throughs later Chakotay contacted them. "It’s a go Captain. They’ve said the Doctor can come down as soon as he’s ready. The ceremony is set to start at exactly twenty-one hours, which is only thirty- three minutes away."

"Okay, everyone knows what they have to do."
 

***** ***** ***** ***** ***** ***** ***** ***** ***** ***** *****
 

Janeway, B’Elanna and Harry glanced around as they rematerialized. They were wearing their dress-uniforms and B’Elanna tugged uncomfortably at her collar. Ambassador Persher stepped forward to meet them. "Captain, Lieutenant, Ensign," he greeted. "If you’ll please follow me, I’ll take you to Ensign Paris."

"Thank you Ambassador."

As they followed him along the never ending hallways the Ambassador chatted away. "Your holo-image is still with the Ensign. A remarkable piece of technology. If I didn’t know any better, I’d think he was real," he said in a condescending tone of voice. "Of course, all that fading in and out is terribly unsettling. Not to mention the flickering. No wonder he needs an assistant."

The Captain exchanged looks with the others. The Doctor seemed to be playing his part very well. Their plan was to let the Regallians believe that Holoprojections were easily identifiable, playing up to their beliefs that it was imperfect technology. They didn’t want them to realize that you couldn’t tell the difference between a holoprogram and the real thing, therefore B’Elanna had programmed the Doctor to have all sorts of technical difficulties.

"Our technicians believe that with a bit of work - a lot of work actually - the holoimage could be improved. We are not interested in doing this; don’t worry. The fact that you have to have at least fifteen emitters to create one being is just not practical. The holodeck schematics sound a little more practical, but we have no need for them. We have everything we could possibly dream of doing, right here already."

"Of course, if we lived on such a beautiful planet as this, we would have no need of them either," Janeway laughed.

The Ambassador laughed also. "Too true, Captain."

They finally stopped in front of a door and the Ambassador pressed the chime. "Come in," the Doctor’s voice called out. As they stepped in, there was a loud zapping sound and the Doctor disappeared, only to reappear a second later.

"Hey," Tom stood up slowly and smiled at them. He gave the Doctor a worried glance. "B’Elanna, I think you should check out the Doc’s holoemitter. He won’t let me near it."

"Which one?" B’Elanna quickly improvised. "I’ve been working on them all afternoon and this is as clear as I can get them."

"They’re better than usual," Harry said quickly, before Tom could open his mouth again. "Don’t you think? His face is definitely more in focus than usual."

"Definitely," the Captain agreed, while Tom stood looking slightly bemused.

The Ambassador sniffed. "A highly defective program."

"Well really," the Doctor huffed. "I think I’ve just been insulted."

"I think it’s time for you to go back to the ship Doctor," Janeway told him.

"I’ll escort you back to the transporter room," the Ambassador said.

"Thank you." The Doctor turned back to Tom. "It’s been a pleasure to have known you Mr. Paris," he said and then pulled Tom into a tight embrace. "Hang on," he whispered fiercely before letting go and walking out of the room.

The Ambassador quickly followed as the others watched the Doctor appear to stumble as he entered the hallway. "Whoops," he said, grabbing onto the wall for support. His program flickered off for a moment and Tom thought he was seeing things when it appeared that one of the emitters the Doctor was wearing was stuck on the wall, before it disappeared quickly.

He looked over at B’Elanna who was watching him closely. "Seven sends her love," she tried to explain.

"I’m sorry they wouldn’t let her be here," Tom answered slowly, looking back at the hallway, trying to work out what was going on.

"Oh my! How clumsy of me," the Doctor’s voice came from further along the hall.

"Well, I must say, that robe is certainly stunning," Harry turned Tom’s attention away from the hallway.

"Huh? What? This old thing?" he answered with a smile.

A crash followed by a muffled, "Oh dear! My apologies" was soon heard.

"I think perhaps we’ll shut this door," Janeway said, closing it as she spoke.

"What the hell?" was all Tom managed to get out before B’Elanna launched herself at him and started to kiss him passionately. Tom felt a little shocked - after all, the Captain was standing right there and she was very strict about public displays of affection. Perhaps it didn’t matter any more - since he was going to be dead in a few minutes anyway.

He returned the kiss with fervor before they pulled breathlessly apart.

"I wondered when you two were going to come up for air," Harry said lightly before throwing himself down on the couch. "Some room hey?" he commented waving his arm around.

"It certainly is," Janeway answered. "It reminds me of the time I stayed on Risa." The Captain then launched into a rather complicated reminisce of her stay on the planet of pleasure. It must have been funny by all accounts, the way Harry and B’Elanna were laughing.

Tom didn’t hear a word. He watched the three people he felt closest to in the entire universe and worried about how they were coping. This wasn’t the way he’d pictured his last few minutes alone with them. He hadn’t wanted some big gloomy scene, but he did want to tell them how he felt, how much they meant to him.

"Hey," he said, frowning at them. "We’ve only got a couple of minutes before they come and get me. I need to tell you some things. I want you to know how much it meant to me to have your friendship and support. I would never have turned my life around without you."

Janeway patted his leg. "It’s all right Tom. We know how you feel. You don’t have to say anything."

"But I want to."

The door chime sounded and Ambassador Persher entered the room. "Come along everyone. It’s time for the ceremony to start."

Swallowing heavily, Tom stood up. "May I have my walking stick back? I don’t think I’ll get too far otherwise."

"That’s all right Ensign. The security officers can carry you."

"I don’t think so," Tom said coldly.

"Don’t worry, we’ll help him," Harry said quickly. "Here Tom, lean on me."

They shuffled out of the room and slowly made their way down the hallway.
 

***** ***** ***** ***** ***** ***** ***** ***** ***** ***** *****
 

Janeway looked to both sides, searching for any signs of the replicated mobile emitters, as they headed towards the ceremony. The shielding that Seven had provided was working perfectly. The Captain felt a small smile of satisfaction steal around the corners of her mouth and quickly suppressed it. The action should start at any moment as Chakotay had been told to set everything in motion as soon as the Doctor returned to the ship.

The Ambassador was leading the way, with Tom - supported between B’Elanna and Harry -behind him. She was walking directly behind Tom, with the two security officers bringing up the rear. Nobody spoke.

A sudden blaring of alarms and red lights flashing shattered the quiet. The group stopped in alarm. "What is it? What’s happening?" Janeway yelled above the din.

"A security breach," one of the officers shouted, before racing back along the hallway.

Without warning, voices came from all around them. "We are the Borg. Existence as you know it, is over." There was shrieking coming from all sections of the building, while the voices continued. "You will be assimilated. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Resistance is futile."

"NO, NO, NO, NO, NO," the Ambassador wailed. There were screams and panicked voices everywhere.

The security officer still with them, turned ashen. "How can this be? Our tracking sensors should have picked them up light years away."

The Captain held onto his arm. "The Borg have been working on a way to disguise their ships. We found out about it, the last time we engaged them. They call it a cloaking device." She saw Tom’s puzzled frown as she spoke.

"This can’t be happening," the Ambassador cried. "We have to stop them."

Harry clutched at his arm. "Please Ambassador, we have to get out of here." His voice sounded panicky. "You have to let us beam back to our ship. Please? I don’t want to be assimilated."

The Ambassador started to whimper in fright. "They’ll put the force field up. The Borg won’t be able to get in."

"I’m scared. Please!" Harry continued. "I couldn’t bear to be assimilated."

"Me neither," the Ambassador wailed loudly. His whimpering turned into loud sobs.

Tom grabbed hold of Harry’s arm and frowned fiercely at him. "Get a grip. You’re upsetting the Ambassador. You’ve come up against the Borg before. Pull yourself together." He looked at the Captain out of the corner of his eye. It was obvious he didn’t understand how she could let Harry carry on like that.

Janeway stared hard at B’Elanna. Tom was going to spoil everything. Their whole plan rested on the Regallians panicking and therefore not studying their readouts too closely. She didn’t want him to calm everybody down.

She watched as his eyes nearly fell out of his head, when B’Elanna screamed at the top of her lungs. "We’re doomed! We’re doomed! Please Ambassador, tell us what to do."

The Ambassador started to scream as well, and held onto the security officer for dear life. The Regallian First Minister suddenly appeared around the corner of the hallway. "Don’t panic everybody. We’ll stop them."

"Put the force field up," Janeway yelled, knowing full well that Seven had managed to disable it. She had warned that the Regallians would have it back on line within twenty minutes however. The Captain crossed her fingers hoping it would be enough time.

"We can’t. The Borg have done something to it, somehow. Just as they managed to get here undetected." The First Minister started to sound quite panicky himself.

"They have a cloaking device," the security officer screamed. "What are we going to do?" Panic was obviously contagious. "There’s nothing stopping the Borg from transporting down here."

Screaming could be heard from further down the corridor. The second security officer came running towards them. "Borg," he panted. "They’re headed this way."

"How many?" The First Minister was definitely panicking now.

"Dozens - maybe hundreds." This came as a surprise to the Captain. They only had fourteen emitters.

"We managed to stop five of them before they adapted. Our weapons are now useless." Harry gave a small scream at this, which set the Ambassador off as well. B’Elanna threw her arms around one of the security officers, wailing loudly.

The Captain thought they might have been overacting - just a little. Fortunately, the Regallians didn’t seem to think they were reacting abnormally. Tom, however, was staring at them in complete disbelief. Luckily, the Regallians were too busy to notice. Chaos surrounded them. People were running everywhere screaming and crying.

"Captain Janeway," the First Minister pleaded. "What should we do? You’ve defeated the Borg before. Please help us."

"There’s nothing we can do. It’s too late," Janeway shrieked, rather hysterically. She had to turn away from Tom’s incredulous look.

The Ambassador collapsed back against the wall. "Panicking is not going to help," Tom shouted, obviously deciding someone had to take charge. "We have to keep calm. Do you have any other weapons?"

The two security officers seemed to calm down a little. "No sir. We’ve never really needed them."

"No-one’s been able to penetrate our shields before," the other security officer offered. It was obvious that the Regallians had no experience in this type of situation. They had always relied on their superior technology to keep them out of trouble. Janeway thought that this might be a good lesson for them, as sooner or later the Borg really would be coming.

"Keep your weapons on a rotating band frequency. It’s harder for them to adapt," Tom ordered.

"Yes sir," the two officers nodded. They seemed almost calm, now that someone had taken charge. Janeway looked at B’Elanna warningly. Tom was going to ruin everything.

"We have to get out of here," B’Elanna suddenly yelled as the Borg could be seen at the end of the hallway. "Run, everybody." The Ambassador and First Minister let out little shrieks and scurried away.

"Hide everyone," Harry screamed, running right behind them.

The security officers dropped to one knee and started firing - to no avail, as the Borg advanced.

Janeway was just in time to see B’Elanna pick up a startled Tom and throw him over her shoulder, before she too ran after the retreating figures.
 

***** ***** ***** ***** ***** ***** ***** ***** ***** ***** *****
 

"In here. Quickly," the First Minister hissed, as B’Elanna started to run past an open doorway. She saw that Harry, Persher and the Captain were already in the room. As B’Elanna hurried inside, the First Minister slid the door closed and locked it.

"If we all stay quiet, they may go straight past."

"I don’t think that’s very likely, First Minister," Janeway said quietly.

B’Elanna put Tom down on the floor and then helped him to stand up again. He brushed her hand away angrily. "I don’t know what the hell’s wrong with you, but----"

Damn! B’Elanna thought. Well, it worked the first time. She threw herself at him again and kissed him thoroughly.

"As I was saying," she heard the Captain say. "I believe the Borg will be coming for you. You are after all, the First Minister. If they can assimilate you, they would believe the rest of the populace would surrender."

Tom managed to push B’Elanna away from him. He took a few steps back, regarding her warily, as the First Minister rushed over to a communications console.

"The force field will be up in five minutes."

"That’s wonderful news," the Captain declared, while B’Elanna ran her hands through her hair in frustration. Five minutes! We only have five minutes to get the Regallians to take the lockout off of Tom.

"What are you going to do about the Borg that are already down here though?" the Captain continued.

"We’ll transport them off the planet, just before the force field is reactivated. Don’t worry it’s all under control again."

"I don’t think we have five minutes First Minister," Harry said worriedly.

"Ensign Kim’s right," Ambassador Persher wailed. "The Borg will be here at any moment."

"Is there any way you can shield this room?" B’Elanna asked suddenly. "Like you did Tom’s room before?"

The Minister nodded. "It will take a lot of energy. Most of it is being used to get the force field back up."

"Take all other systems off line. That should do it." B’Elanna was starting to worry that the transporter lockout on Tom had been overlooked. How could she bring it up, without it looking suspicious? The Regallians were supposed to be so panicked that they diverted all power immediately.

"I’m trying to," the First Minister answered. "Any second now."

A sudden banging at the door, made them all look up in surprise. "Oh no," the Ambassador collapsed to the floor. "We’re too late. It’s the Borg."

The Minister worked feverishly at the console as the Borg burst through the doorway. There were three of them. B’Elanna was surprised to see Tom hobbling towards them. "Tom! What are you doing?"

"Holding them off," Tom called over his shoulder.

Damn! B’Elanna reached out to grab hold of him. "You can’t hold off a Borg."

"I can try," Tom yelled out over the sounds of bedlam. He launched himself at the first Borg and was thrown off immediately. Groggily he struggled back to his feet. B’Elanna held onto his arm.

"One more minute, that’s all I need," the Minister called out. "Just one more minute for the shield around the room to be in place."

B’Elanna looked around in panic. They still had the lockout on Tom. She couldn’t believe it. What would it take? He managed to pull out of her grasp and threw himself at the first Borg again, only to land heavily on the floor.

Janeway suddenly yelled out. "B’Elanna, Harry - plan B them."

B’Elanna tackled the second Borg as it came towards her. She climbed up on its back and tried to pull some of its implants out, yelling like a banshee as they whirled around the room.

Harry raced over to the third Borg and tried a flying tackle. The Borg was caught off guard and thrown backwards. Unfortunately, the first Borg - who had been advancing towards Tom, still lying on the floor -stepped up and hit Harry over the back of the neck. He crumpled to the ground as the Borg extended the tubules on the back of its hand and injected them into Harry’s neck.

"NO!" Tom screamed. He crawled frantically over towards them, while the Ambassador’s screams rose to a new level.

The Minister looked up from his console in horror.

"Divert all power," Janeway yelled. "From everywhere. It’s the only way."

Tom threw himself on the Borg that was in the process of assimilating Harry, as B’Elanna rushed towards them.

"Harry!" Tom cried, and then the transporter beam engulfed him.
 

***** ***** ***** ***** ***** ***** ***** ***** ***** ***** *****
 

Tom looked around in confusion, as he rematerialized on the transporter padd. Neelix rushed over to support him as he attempted to stand up, and then helped him step down. The Doctor stepped forward, brandishing his medical tricorder.

"Doc, we have to get the others." Tom choked out. He looked frantically over towards Vorik, who was attending the transporter controls. "The Borg. They got Harry. Maybe even B’Elanna."

"Energizing," Vorik’s calm voice announced.

Tom looked back at the transporter padds, fear filling him. The last time he’d seen B’Elanna, she was throwing herself at a Borg, and Harry - poor Harry. He didn’t even notice the tears streaming down his face.

As the three figures rematerialized in the room, Tom was amazed to see, both Harry and B’Elanna jump up from their prone positions on the floor. Janeway stepped down and grabbed Tom’s arm, squeezing it tightly. She tapped her commbadge. "Commander, we’re all here. You’d better get us out of here, before the Regallians wake up to what happened."

"Aye Captain. Gladly," Chakotay acknowledged.

Janeway turned towards the Doctor. "I’m glad to see you’re running smoothly again," she said with a smile, as B’Elanna stepped down and looked at Tom with concern.

"Ensign Vorik here, fixed my program. I take it everything went off without a hitch?" the Doctor asked.

"They took a lot longer than we anticipated to take the lockout off of Tom. But things went according to plan."

"You should have seen me Doc," Harry jumped down from the transporter padd, gleefully. "I was brilliant. I so love that I got to be assimilated."

"I think you overplayed your part just a little," the Captain said dryly.

Harry chuckled. "It sure fooled the Regallians. I even had Tom here going, didn’t I?" He nudged Tom lightly in the ribs, but when B’Elanna elbowed him - not so lightly - he stopped and took a proper look at Tom. "Tom? Are you all right?"

"It was all a simulation. You know that now, don’t you Tom?" B’Elanna hugged him as she asked.

When Tom still didn’t answer, Janeway touched his arm. "It was all done with holo-emitters," she explained. "None of it was real. I’m sorry. We didn’t think about what effect all that would have on you."

Tom stepped back from B’Elanna, realizing that his face was wet. Scrubbing his eyes with the sleeve of the golden robe he was still wearing, he growled. "I knew it all along."

"Yeah, right!" Harry snorted, only to receive another - even harder - elbow in the ribs from B’Elanna. "Ow! That hurt."

"Come along Mr. Paris," the Doctor said, holding out a walking stick to Tom. "I know I said that you could return to your quarters, but that was before all the traumatic events of today took place. I’d like you to spend one more night in sickbay, under observation, just to be safe."

Tom really couldn’t be bothered arguing, so he simply took the walking stick and started to limp from the room. He didn’t notice everyone’s startled gazes behind him. As he entered the turbolift alongside the Doc, he noticed that Harry and B’Elanna were coming too.

As the lift took them to deck five, where sickbay was located, Tom studiously avoided looking at anybody. He was no longer upset and confused. In fact, he was mad, and getting madder, by the second. He knew that Harry and B’Elanna were sending him concerned looks, before looking at each other - bewilderment on their faces.

The Doctor attempted to start a conversation by asking questions about what had happened during the fake Borg invasion, but as no one answered him, he soon lapsed into silence as well.
 

***** ***** ***** ***** ***** ***** ***** ***** ***** ***** *****
 

Tom was out of the turbolift as soon as the doors opened, and hobbled purposefully towards sickbay. He could feel his anger mounting with each step until he thought he was going to explode.

"Please take that robe off and get up on a biobed," the Doctor told him as soon as they entered the sickbay. "I just want to make sure you didn’t suffer any more damage."

Tom silently did as he was told and the Doctor began his examination.

"T-o-m?’" Harry began nervously. "You are all right, aren’t you?"

Tom nodded. "Fine," he managed to grind out.

"To be honest, you don’t look fine. And you’re not acting - fine."

"Really Harry?" Tom said through gritted teeth.

Harry bobbed his head up and down. "Yes really. Don’t you think so B’Elanna?"

"I think Tom’s mad at us. Aren’t you Tom?"

"What gives you that idea?" Tom’s voice was a growl.

"The look on your face," B’Elanna answered simply.

Tom shut his eyes and mentally counted to ten - breaking a new speed record as he did so. "I’m not mad," he ground out.

"Yes you are," B’Elanna argued. "I think you should let it out. You’ll probably feel better afterwards."

"Why would I be mad at you?" Tom heard himself practically shout.

B’Elanna shrugged. "You’ll have to tell us that. You shouldn’t keep things bottled up, you know."

Tom clenched his teeth together and shook his head refusing to let her bait him.

"You know, I’m kind of surprised at you Tom," Harry said suddenly. "After all, we did just save your life. And you haven’t even said thank you." He turned to B’Elanna and winked.

"Harry’s right," B’Elanna taunted. "We went to a lot of trouble you know."

"Not to mention risking life and limb," Harry added.

Tom could practically feel the steam coming out of his ears. How can they joke about it? They put me through hell. "THAT’S - NOT - FUNNY," he roared.

B’Elanna and Harry exchanged looks. "See, I told you he was mad," B’Elanna said.

"I - AM - NOT - MAD."

"Well now, let me see." The Doctor decided to get into the act. "Hmmn! According to these readings both your pulse and heart rate are at unusually high levels. Your breathing is rapid and your----"

"Argh!" Tom yelled in fury, interrupting the Doctor’s diagnosis. He picked up the ceremonial robe that he’d put at the end of the bed and threw it at the EMH. Everyone watched in amazement as the robe sailed high into the air and then landed gracefully over the Doctor’s head.

The EMH made a slight harrumphing sound and then peered out from under the garment.

"Nice catch," Harry told him admiringly, before dissolving into chuckles.

"No, nice throw," B’Elanna giggled helplessly next to him.

The Doctor sniffed. "I see we’re back to playing dodge the missile again." He pulled the robe off of his head and proceeded to fold it up neatly.

"I’m not playing anything," Tom said furiously. "How could you? How could you do that to me?" He leaned forward, glaring at B’Elanna and Harry as he yelled. "You made me think - you didn’t even care that I might - I can’t believe that you would -." He knew that he wasn’t making much sense, but didn’t really care.

Both B’Elanna and Harry sobered immediately. "Tom, we had to. It was the only way we could get you out of there," B’Elanna tried to explain.

"You should have told me," Tom shouted. "Gods, I thought you’d both been assimilated."

"We’re sorry," Harry said quietly. "We couldn’t let you in on the plan. We couldn’t take the chance."

"The Regallians had your room monitored," B’Elanna told him. "Everything that was said in there was recorded. We couldn’t even try to pass you a message or signal you somehow. They could probably see us as well. We couldn’t let the Regallians suspect anything. It was too important."

She sat on the bed next to him and took his hand in hers. "The Captain was right though. We were so focused on making sure it would work and that it looked realistic that we didn’t stop to think how it would make you feel. Please try to understand. We really didn’t have any other choice."

"I thought you’d all gone crazy," Tom said quietly. "I couldn’t believe the way you were acting."

"We did overact just a little, didn’t we?" Harry said with a smile.

Tom smiled back. "Just a little. You know, I really did think something wasn’t quite right when we were in the hallway, but then I just got caught up in everything." He shook his head in wonder. "I can’t believe I fell for it."

"The Captain’s plan was brilliant," Harry gloated.

Tom nodded. "One thing I don’t understand, is how you got so many mobile emitters. I thought you couldn’t reproduce any more that worked properly?"

"I can’t," B’Elanna said in exasperation. "I replicated the Doctors and managed to get them to work for about fifteen minutes each. I set them to self-destruct when they malfunctioned."

"If we’re lucky, the Regallians will never know what happened," Harry told him. "They’ll think that they managed to hold off the Borg until their force field was up again and the Borg simply gave up. They’ll probably spend the next few years strengthening their shields and looking into cloaking technology."

"Hopefully, they’ll believe that Voyager beamed us all up and took off to get away from the Borg," B’Elanna finished.

"They’ll probably keep their force field up the entire time and not let anyone visit ever again," Tom commented. "Just in case the Borg come back."

"That could be a good thing, considering their weird beliefs," B’Elanna said coldly.

Tom all of a sudden started to chuckle. "I’m just remembering you screaming Harry. And the Captain!" His laughter grew louder and Harry and B’Elanna joined in. "I still can’t believe you B’Elanna. Clinging to that guard’s neck. And throwing yourself into my arms like that, to shut me up. And the Captain pretending that that was perfectly normal." Soon he had to hold his sides. "Ow! It hurts," he managed to gasp between breaths.

The Doctor shook his head reproachfully at the three friends laughing hysterically, clutching their stomachs. "This is a sickbay - not a circus and I’m a Doctor - not a ringmaster. It’s time for Mr. Paris to get some much-needed sleep. I’ll have to ask you both to leave."

"Sure Doc," Harry said trying hard to stop his chuckles. "Hey! I don’t know about you Maquis, but I’m starving. I haven’t had anything to eat since breakfast."

"Hey, you’re right Starfleet. We were too busy trying to save Helmboy here’s butt, to think of eating."

"I resent that," Tom protested. "I haven’t eaten anything since breakfast either."

"Are you hungry Mr. Paris?"

Tom nodded. "A little."

"I know just the thing." The Doctor walked over to the replicator. "A glass of warm milk and a peanut butter and jelly sandwich."

"I don’t know about the milk Doc, but the sandwich will go down nicely."

Harry grinned at him. "Well, now that you’re all fixed up. Coming Maquis?" He held out his arm and dipped an imaginary hat. "May I have the honor of escorting you to the messhall?"

"Why, Harry! I don’t know what to say. Are you asking me out on a date?"

Harry opened and shut his mouth. "A date?"

"I can’t believe you did that. Tom’s sitting right over there." She pointed her finger.

"I didn’t ask you out on a date Torres," Harry growled.

"Yes you did. Poor Tom! You’re supposed to be his best friend. I’m shocked Harry."

"This isn’t funny Torres." Tom thought it was, and he grinned in delight.

"I agree. What are people going to say?" B’Elanna answered. She eyed him up and down, critically. "Hmmn! You are rather cute. I’m sure lot’s of girls think so."

"Cut it out B’Elanna. It’s not funny."

"We’ll have to be careful. Try and avoid the gossips. It will look like we ditched Tom and then rushed off to continue our wild passionate fling."

"Don’t let me stop you," Tom called out merrily.

Harry snorted. "I don’t know how you two can joke about it."

"My advice to you Har is, if they’re going to talk about you at least make it exciting," Tom told him.

"I’ll keep that in mind. Now are you coming or not?" he hissed at B’Elanna.

"Well, after such a poetic request, how can I refuse?"

"Well, come on then. I can hear the mould growing on the food."

"Harry! I think I just lost my appetite."

"Suit yourself, but I’m going - now."

"Okay. Okay." B’Elanna leaned down and kissed Tom soundly, as the EMH watched interestedly and Harry stood at the sickbay doors, tapping his foot impatiently.

"Hurry up, already. I’m not standing here while you give Tom a Tonsillectomy with your tongue," he snapped.

B’Elanna stood up slowly and turned around to glare at Harry. Tom’s eyes opened wide. "Boy, someone around here sure can’t take a joke."

"Yes Harry," B’Elanna said slowly. "That wasn’t very nice."

Harry’s face suddenly broke out in a huge grin. "Payback," he cried out. "See ya Tom. I gotta go." He ran out of the room.

"Why, that little---" B’Elanna tore off after him. Tom and the Doctor could hear their shouts echoing down the hallway.

"Hmmn!" the Doctor said thoughtfully. "Remind me to check their medical files afterwards. It seems I must have their ages incorrectly noted."

Tom just smiled at him, his mind already busy elsewhere. He had to come up with a plan. Of course, he’d have to be careful. He didn’t want the Captain to come down too heavily on him. She’d have to be included though, that much was certain. Tom smiled dreamily. Lookout Janeway, Torres and Kim - payback was coming, and it would be sweet - oh - so - sweet.

The End

T’Pam August 1999
There you go. I hope you liked it. Let me know.
You can contact me at: t_pam@yahoo.com