Title: Thrown Through Time

Authors: R. Mason & Joanne Collins

Codes: G – NC-17 (depending on where in the story)

Feedback: mchakotayparis@yahoo.com

Summary: See Chapter 1

Authors Notes: Part of this is in Melody’s mind/past, which will be marked by the following //

Thrown Through Time

Chapter 7

After Melody awoke from her nap and ate a snack Chakotay gave her a PADD with some basic information about Tuvok and Vulcan’s. He didn’t want to get Melody too upset from her first reaction to meeting Tuvok and they both agreed that giving her some knowledge before head was prudent

Melody read over the PADD and asked Tom and Chakotay a few questions about Vulcan’s and their planet.

At 1430 Melody was still sitting on one of the biobed in sickbay with Kes standing beside her. The Doctor had scanned, poked and prodded her for what seemed like hours and now the Doctor, Tom and Chakotay were in his office discussing the results.

"Her scans show that she is suffering from a mild exhaustion and several vitamin deficiency. Due to her recent stomach problems, but those are easily remedied with supplements," said the Doctor.

"What about the exhaustion?" asked Tom.

"I would recommend complete bed rest, but I know that recommendation wouldn‘t be followed. So instead, I suggest an afternoon nap. With a mild sedative and muscle relaxant to help her sleep at night," replied the Doctor.

"That‘s fine, Doctor. We‘ll see that she takes it," said Chakotay.

"I will want to see her in three days for a reevaluation," said the Doctor as they left his office.

Just then the Sickbay doors open and Tuvok entered. He stood at the door looking over at the young woman, with Tom and Chakotay standing on either side of her.

"Tuvok," said Chakotay as he noticed the man.

"Commander, Lieutenant. Ms Hanley," replied Tuvok with a nod to each as he approached.

Melody slid down off the bed and took a few steps toward him.

"Lt. Tuvok, I want...I need to apologize for my actions last time we met," said Melody with her head down.

"That‘s not necessary, Ms. Hanley," replied Tuvok.

Melody lifted her head and looked him in the eyes. "Yes, sir. It is. My grandmother would have been very upset with me if she knew that I screamed in your face and ran. She tried to raise me better than that."

"Apology accepted. Are you ready to proceed?" asked Tuvok.

"Yes, sir," said Melody as she followed him to a small room just off the Doctors office.

There were two chairs sitting across from each other. Melody looked at Tuvok, then sat down in the chair closest to her. Tuvok sat across from her with.

Melody turned slightly and looked back at Tom and Chakotay still standing in Sickbay.

"Lt. Tuvok…sir, do you think Chakotay and Tom could be here with me?" asked Melody quietly

"Would you like them here?" asked Tuvok as she looked at the young women in front of him.

She had her head hung down and was wring her hands in her lap. Except for the one time when she had apologized to him she hadn’t look him in the face.

At his question Melody raised her head and a look of relief flooded her face.

"Oh yes sir! I’d feel…safer with them both here," answered Melody softly.

"Commander Chakotay, Lt. Paris. Ms Hanley requests that you be present during this counseling session," called Tuvok

Both men looked at each other then quickly went into the room with Melody, they both knew how upset she was over this but that he would do it because she knew she needed some help. They each pulled a chair on either side of Melody and took one of her hands in theirs. At their reassuring squeezes she smiled and faced Tuvok.

"Do you recall any of your nightmares?" asked Tuvok

"No, all I remember is feeling very scared and small," replied Melody

"Then I suggest we use hypnoses to help you in your recall."

"You mean like a swinging gold watch," asked Melody sarcastically.

"Melody," said Chakotay.

"It‘s all right, Commander," said Tuvok.

"Are you ready to proceed?"

"Yes, I think so," replied Melody as she nodded her head

"We‘ll be right here for you Melody. Were not going any where?" said Chakotay.

"Promise?"

"You bet sweet, we promise," said Tom as he brought her hand up and kissed it.

"Are you ready?" asked Tuvok again.

"Yes, sir," replied Melody as she took a deep breath.

"Doctor."

The Doctor entered the room, and placed a small metal device behind her right ear.

"When Lt. Tuvok told me about the counseling session I did some research in the medical and physiological database. I found a device that when place on a persons head and activated will put you in a hypnotic state so Tuvok can help you recall your dream. I will be monitoring your life signs so if there is a problem we will stop. Ready Melody?" asked the Doctor.

At Melody’s nod he activated the device. Melody relaxed, then closed her eyes.

"Can you hear my voice Melody?" asked Tuvok

"Yes."

"Good, let your mind so back to your nightmare. Can you see yourself?"

"Yes."

"Where are you?"

"In my room, at night."

"What are you doing?"

"Trying to go to sleep...Oh, no," cried Melody.

"What is wrong?"

"I hear them, they‘re coming."

"Who is coming?"

"Momma, and my brothers."

"What are they coming to do?"

"They make me watch, please momma. Don‘t make me, please," cried Melody louder.

"It‘s all right, Melody. You‘re sitting above them, looking down. No one can hurt you now, describe what you see."

Melody saw herself sitting on her bed, when the door opens and her mother and four brothers’ walk in and sat down on the end of her bed.

/////////////////////Melody’s Past//////////////////////////////////////////////

"Melody honey, it‘s time for you‘re lesson‘s," said her mother as she shook her shoulder.

"No momma, please. Don‘t make me, please!" cried Melody.

"Do you want to be punished?" asked her mother as she reached for the nightstand. She kept a belt there to remind her what would happen if she wasn’t good.

"No! Momma, No! I‘m sorry...I‘ll be good," yelled Melody.

"Good girl, now give us some room," said her mother as she took off her robe and lay in the middle of her bed.

One of her brother‘s took off his underwear and climbed on the bed between his mother‘s legs. After a few minutes of foreplay he entered her and fucked her until he climaxed. Then he pulled out and went around to the head of the bed and sat across his mother‘s face as another brother took his place between his mother‘s legs.

When each of them had their pleasure they all rose from the bed, and left. Melody‘s mother pulled on her robe kissing Melody goodnight before she left. Melody sat against the headboard crying, looking at the rumpled sheets and stains in the middle of her bed. Suddenly she threw up, then crawled into a corner of her room crying herself to sleep.

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

The Doctor gently reached over and switched off the device.

"Melody, when I count to three you will awake and remember. One...two...three," said Tuvok.

Melody slowly opened her eyes, looking at the man sitting in front of her.

"Oh God!" cried Melody as she ran to a corner of the small office and started to cry.

Tom and Chakotay went to her and held her as she cried.

"I‘m so sorry, Melody. I‘m sorry," said Tom

When Melody stopped crying the Doctor handed Tom a wet cloth and he gently wiped her face.

"It‘s all right, Melody. Are you ready to talk about it now?" asked Chakotay as he took her hands and helped her stand.

"I think so. "

"Whenever you‘re ready," said Tom.

Melody wiped her eyes once more with the back of her hand and returned to her chair.

"Melody, how old were you when this happen?" asked Tuvok

"Five."

"What happen if you disobeyed or talk to someone about what was happening?" asked Tom.

"Momma would use the belt on me, and she would say that it was all my fault. That I was a bad girl."

"And how did this make you feel?" asked Tuvok.

"Dirty," replied Melody as she lowered her head.

"It wasn‘t your fault Melody. Your mother and brothers were the ones to blame not you. Do you understand?" said Tuvok as he lifted her chin to look into his eyes.

"It‘s not your fault, sweet one." repeated Chakotay

"It‘s not your fault, Mel," echoed Tom.

Melody looked at each man and saw that they meant what they said. They didn’t blame her or hate her, even in Doctor‘s and Tuvok’s eyes all she saw was sadness and compassion. For the first time in a long time, Melody maybe started to believe that it wasn’t all her fault.

She looked at them, with a small smile on her face and quietly nodded her head.

"Good, now I want you to go and eat dinner. At 2100 I will meet with you again and teach you some meditation techniques for relaxation. I want you to use them after you experience a nightmare to help you control the fear and help get back to sleep," explained Tuvok.

"Yes, sir. Thank you."

"You‘re welcome, Melody. Commander, may I speak to you privately?"

Melody stood up and Tom helped her as they left sickbay. Chakotay had been pacing the back of the small office since they discovered what Melody‘s nightmares were about, and now he sat down in the chair Melody had just left.

"Commander, how does this make you feel?" asked Tuvok as he studied the man before him.

Chakotay looked up at Tuvok, "Like I could hurt someone!" he replied angrily as he started pacing again.

"How could a mother do that to her own child!"

"Unfortunately we will never know, but right now we must help Melody deal with this and finally to except that she is not to blame. To do that we must control our own feelings, now matter how strong they are."

"You‘re right Tuvok, It‘s just that I..."

"I understand, Commander. I to am affected by what we have just learned. In all my teachings it seams illogical that a parent would knowingly submit their own child to that kind of abuse. If Lt. Paris or yourself every need to talk to someone, my door is all ways open."

"Thank you, Tuvok."

"Commander," said Tuvok as he nodded and left. He needed to meditate and get his thoughts in order before he met with Melody again.

Chakotay watched as Tuvok left, then took a few minutes to compose himself, then started to leave. The Doctor‘s voice stopped him before he got to the doors.

"Commander, I thought you might need this?" explained the Doctor as he held out a hypospray.

"Yes, thank you," said Chakotay as he took it, then left for their quarters.

The walk from sickbay to their quarters had given Chakotay enough time to compose himself, but when he entered living area he felt it crack. Tom was curled up on the couch, crying. He had forgotten that Tom had taken Melody back to their quarters so did not have the time alone to deal with what they had just discovered. He walked silently to the couch and pulled Tom into his arms.

Holding him as he cried out his pain and frustration.

"It‘s not right, Chakotay! Things like that shouldn‘t happen to children like Melody," cried Tom.

"I know Tom, I know," answered Chakotay as he rocked him gently.

When Tom‘s tears stopped Chakotay asked. "Where‘s Melody?"

"She‘s asleep. She hardly ate any of her dinner before she fell asleep at the table," replied Tom.

"Do you think we should tell the Captain?"

"I think we almost have to. Melody is going to need all the support she can get."

"All right, I‘ll talk to Tuvok and Melody about telling the command staff."

"Come on Chief, I think we ought to get cleaned up and get rest some before Tuvok comes back tonight," said Tom as he pulled Chakotay to his feet.

"You‘re right slim, I have a feeling that tonight‘s going to be one hell of a night," answered Chakotay as they walked to their bedroom.

At 2100 a more emotionally composed Tuvok rang the chime to the Chakotay-Paris quarters. He had spent the last several hours in mediation trying to understand his emotions concerning Melody.

To have been through that experience once was remarkable, but the Doctor‘s physical and psychological profiles had shown that she had been subjected to several years of the abuse. Tuvok was curious to discover what else they would learn about this young woman‘s past in their future counseling sessions. He understood that this would be a difficult journey for all parties concerned.

The door opened and Tuvok stepped inside. Melody was sitting on the couch, looking more relaxed and calmer then she had last time. Although she still looked tired and a little nervous. She was curled up on the couch with some sort of stuffed animal in her arms. Lt. Paris was sitting next to her on the couch while Commander Chakotay was at his desk. Both had PADD’S in their hands trying to complete something, but their frequent glances in Melody’s direction showed that their minds were not on the task.

Earlier that evening Commander Chakotay had COM him telling him that Melody had agreed to let them inform Captain Janeway and the command staff about the nature of her nightmares. He agreed stating that the more support group Melody had the better she would be at coming to accept what was done.

"Hello, Tuvok," said Melody.

"How are you feeling?" asked Tuvok

" A little better, thank you. I was able to sleep a some after dinner."

"Did you have a nightmare?"

"No."

"That is good, are you ready to learn to meditate?" asked Tuvok as he came to stand in front of her.

"Yes, sir," said Melody as she stood up.

"Melody, Tom and I are going to meet with the Captain. We will be back before Tuvok leaves. OK?" said Chakotay.

"Sure, tell Kathryn hello for me," replied Melody.

"Will do. You be careful and don‘t push yourself, OK?" said Chakotay as he came over to her and gave her a hug and a kiss.

"I won‘t. I love you." Said Melody quietly into his chest.

"I love you to sweet one," said Chakotay as he released her and left.

"Take care, Mel," said Tom as he repeated the hug and kiss.

"I will Tom. I love you."

"I love you to sweet," answered Tom as he followed Chakotay.

Melody watched as the door closed behind the two men, then went to stand by Tuvok. He had replicated a small squared lamp with a wick in the middle. Tuvok placed it in the center of the coffee table then sat on the floor. Melody followed suit, and for the next hour or so Tuvok instructed Melody in the art of meditation and relaxation.

Tom and Chakotay‘s meeting with Captain Janeway was short but very produced; they all agreed that for right now the command staff were the only ones to know about the nature of Melody‘s nightmares. Janeway suggested that she spend as much time as possible with Melody so she could see her a positive female figure.

They agreed that at tomorrow mornings briefing, they would tell everyone what they had discovered. It was also agreed that Kes and Neelix would be present for the news since Melody got along so well with Kes and she had already met Neelix.

When they finally let Janeway‘s ready room, they were surprised to see that it had been over an hour since they left Melody and Tuvok in their quarters. They were both anxious to see how Melody was getting along.

When they re entered their quarter they only saw Tuvok sitting alone meditating.

"Where‘s Melody?" asked Tom.

"She started dozing after we finished our meditation so I suggested that she go to bed early. I promised that I would stay until you both returned," said Tuvok as he blew out the candle and rose.

"Thanks, Tuvok," said Tom

"You‘re welcome Lieutenant, Commander," replied Tuvok as he left.

Chakotay and Tom checked on Melody then, Tom went to the desk to work on his reports while Chakotay read on the couch. Several hours later they cleaned up the living area and went to bed.

That night Melody had another nightmare, but she used the mediation techniques that Tuvok taught her and afterwards she felt calmer. They had set the computer to monitor her so it was Chakotay that came out and sat with her until she fell back asleep in his arms, then he returned to his room.

After breakfast Tom dropped Melody off in sickbay for her counseling session with Tuvok. It decided that for now, she would see him every morning in sickbay just incase the Doctor was needed. When she became stronger and her health was not affected they would move to Tuvok’s quarters. Tuvok was waiting in sickbay for her with she arrived.

"Good morning, Melody," said Tuvok as she walked into the small side room.

"Good morning," replied Melody as she sat down across from him.

"How did you sleep last night?"

"Pretty well, until the dream."

"Did you use the meditation techniques I showed you?"

"Yes."

"And did it help?"

"After a while. Chakotay played some relaxing music for me and that help too."

"How did you feel about your dream after you meditation?"

"Still a little afraid, but not as much."

"That is good Melody, Now tell me about your family?"

"What do you want to know?"

"How many brother‘s did you have?"

"Four. Chandler, Russell, Douglas and Stuart."

"How old were you‘re brother‘s when this began?"

"I think Chandler was thirteen and Stuart was sixteen. They were just a year apart from each other."

"And how old were you when this stopped?‘

"Eleven, after Chandler turned eighteen and went to college mother just ignored me until I turned eighteen."

"And then what happen?"

"I got a letter from my oldest brother Stuart, saying that they were coming over that night to give me a "very special" birthday present. I had an idea what they meant so that afternoon, when I got my high school diploma I took some money out of mother‘s bank account and left.

"I went as far as the money would take me, then I got a job and put myself through college. After the second year, I discovered the NASA scholarship and applied based on my grades. I was lucky enough to get in."

"After you left, did you ever hear from your family again?"

"I had three letters from them while I was in college, but I never opened them."

They talked for another forty-five minutes about various things until Tuvok called there session to a close.

"I think that is enough for this morning, we will talk more tomorrow. Remember, any time you need to talk, I am here."

"Thank you, Tuvok," said Melody as she stood and left.

All this talk about her family and the past had brought up some bad memories, and after her restless night last night she was tired. So Melody went to go back to their quarters and meditate, then took a nap.

Tuvok appeared on the bridge five minutes after Melody left sickbay, with a nod to Janeway he went to briefing room.

"All senior officers report to the briefing room," called Janeway over the COM system.

A few minutes later Janeway was sitting at the head of the table as the other‘s filed in. When everyone had taken their seat Tuvok walked to the computer and activated the Doctor‘s Emergency Medical Channel.

"As you all know, I have been counseling Melody because of the nightmares she is experiencing. Yesterday we discovered what the nature of her nightmares were. It is the option of Commander Chakotay, Lt. Paris, the Doctor and myself that the command staff be informed of the nature of Melody‘s nightmares," said Tuvok as he walked around the room.

This one little action was the only indication that he was ill at ease. He stopped behind Tom and Chakotay, and took a deep breath, then started again.

"Melody is experiencing flashbacks from the time when she was exposed to sexual abuse."

"Oh my goodness, you mean she was..." asked Neelix

"No, Mr. Neelix. She was not sexual abused. When Melody was five years old she was subjected to nightly exhibitions of various sexual activities between her mother and four older brothers. She was however physically abused,"

"How can a mother do that to her own child?" asked Harry

"That‘s a question we would like answered too, Harry," said Chakotay

"Unfortunately, we will never know the answer. Now, we all must help Melody deal with the repercussions. We have agreed that it would be counterproductive to isolate her from the crew of Voyager since that would only remind her of that time and cause more problems," Explained Chakotay.

"I don‘t understand, Commander?" said Kes.

"While that...during that time her mother forced her to isolate herself from any friends under the threat of a beating."

"How the hell..." exclaimed B‘Elanna.

"B‘Elanna," said Harry as he put his hand over her arm.

"Tuvok feels that if we help her get used to socializing with people it will help her recovery easier," said Tom.

"How can we help?" asked Janeway.

"We would like each of you to spend some of your off duty time with her," said Chakotay.

"What do we do with her?" asked B‘Elanna

"Well for some of you, she will ask several questions about your culture and home world. Others could find a mutual activity or teach her something you like to do,"

"Gentlemen, you will have all the help and support we each can give. Agreed?" asked Janeway.

"Agreed," echoed everyone in the room.

Tom and Chakotay smiled and both released a sigh, neither realizing they were holding. Now Melody had an extended family to help her deal with this.

"Dismissed," said Janeway.

As everyone rose to leave, they passed by Tom and Chakotay and patted them on the shoulder, smiling. Janeway watched them all leave, then stood up and walked over to them both.

"If either of you or Melody need anything, give me a call," said Janeway as she put her hand on the arm of each man, then left.

The rest of the morning shift was quiet and uneventful so Tom and Chakotay spent their lunch hour with Melody in their quarters.

"How was you‘re day, Mel?" asked Tom.

"Pretty good, after my counseling time with Tuvok I came back her and meditated then took a nap. I stayed here and work on my lessons. I called Samantha and she said it was all right," said Melody quickly as she ate.

"That’s fine Melody, you can do them where ever you are most comfortable," said Tom as he watched Melody’s face relax.

They both knew that Melody was still fearful of upsetting them.

"Melody, how would you like it if the command staff came by to visit?" asked Chakotay.

"You mean like Captain Janeway, Tuvok and Harry?" asked Melody.

"Yes, along with B‘Elanna, Kes and Neelix too."

"Guys, you can have anyone you want come and visit," replied Melody

"Not to see us, Mel. To come and see you," said Tom

"Why would they want to see me?"

"To get to know you better, would you mind?" asked Chakotay.

"No, I guess not. Might by fun. Oh guys, can I ask you a questions?"

"Sure, Mel. Go ahead."

"I was wondering...I mean since you know all about my past and everything and are still being really nice to me, I was wondering..."

"Wondering what, sweet one?"

"Well, I was wondering I it would be all right if I call you Dad or Daddy sometimes. I mean... If you don‘t want me to I‘ll understand it‘s just that...."

"Oh Melody, we would be honored if you called us that!" said Chakotay as he reached over and covered her hand with his.

"Are you sure?"

"Yes, Mel. Were sure, you can call us Dad or Daddy when ever you want," Replied Tom.

"Oh, thanks guys!" said Melody as she launched herself into their arms. "Oh, I‘d had better go. I promised Samantha that I would work over in her quarters this afternoon. Bye guys...I mean Daddies," said Melody as she finished the last of her sandwiches, then left.

"Well, looks like we have got ourselves a daughter."

"Sure does."

"And I guess we worried for nothing."

"Chakotay, it wouldn‘t be you if you didn‘t worry," replied Tom.

"What‘s that suppose to mean, Slim?" asked Chakotay.

Tom got up, crossed behind him and put his arms on Chakotay‘s shoulders, nibbling at his neck.

"You know I only meant that in the best way, Chief. You can worry about her all you want."

"Tom...you had better stop or we‘re going to be late," said Chakotay breathlessly.

"If you insist Chak," said Tom as he stood up.

"Tom! You are evil, really evil," said Chakotay as he got up.

"So punish me," said Tom as he left.

"If I had time, I just might do that," replied Chakotay as he followed him out.

TBC