Title: Thrown Through Time

Authors: R. Mason & Joanne Collins

Codes: C/P, C/P/M (Only Once), I/M (Implied)

Ratings: G - NC - 17 (depending on where in the story)

Feedback: mchakotayparis@yahoo.com

Summary: See Chapter 1

Thrown Through Time

Chapter 34

Two days later there was a memorial service for Kes, slowly everyone worked through their grief and got on with their lives. Everyone that is except Melody, she continued to work double shifts if she was needed. Spending most of her days working and her nights in her room or the holodeck. She would go for three or four nights without sleep until the exhaustion would catch up with her, then sleep for eighteen hours and start the cycle all over again.

After a week Tuvok noticed the pattern Melody was following and requested a meeting with Tom and Chakotay. He had tried to speak to Melody first but she just insisted that nothing was wrong.

So the next day Melody, Tom, Chakotay and Tuvok meet in their quarters after Melody finished her shift. Melody sat on the couch between Tom and Chakotay with Tuvok sitting across from them.

"Melody, can you tell me what is wrong?" asked Tuvok as he looked at the young women.

She looked tired, very close to exhaustion, but she wouldn‘t give in. Something was pushing or driving her, almost like when she was having nightmares and she was afraid to sleep. But according to Lt. Paris and Commander Chakotay Melody wasn‘t having nightmare, she just couldn‘t or wouldn‘t sleep.

"Nothings wrong, Tuvok," replied Melody as she looked at the man across from her. She knew that Tuvok, along with Tom, Chakotay and the rest of the crew had been watching her ever since they had told her that Kes had become sick.

She knew that she needed to talk to someone about this but it was hard to explain how she was feeling. Kes‘s death had brought back some very unpleasant memories of when she was younger.

She had been about five years old before she realized that "most" families consisted of a mother, father and children. They had been talking about what their father‘s did at work and she had been one of the only ones that didn‘t have a father at home and the only one who didn‘t know her father.

When she got home she had asked her mother about her father and she was told that he had left because he had been disappointed that his last child had been a girl. Too him, females were good for only one thing.

"Mel...please let us help you sweet one," said Tom as he moved closer to Melody.

"I‘m sorry, Dad, Daddy. I really tired to keep the memories away but I can‘t. I‘m so tired, and confused," whimpered Melody as she crawled into Tom‘s lap.

Tom gently stroked her hair, murmuring soft words until she began to calm down.

"Melody, can you tell us about the memories?" asked Tuvok

Melody looked over at Tom and Chakotay, then back to Tuvok. "When I was about five years old, our class had a project to talk about our father‘s and what they did at work. Well I had never known my father or what he did. So I went home and asked my mother. She told me that my father was ashamed of me because I was a female, and that he had left because of that. I tried to find him, but there was no information concerning him"

"Melody, when I first learned about your father, I checked the computer‘s historical database for any information on your father."

"And what did you find?" asked Melody anxiously as she clung tightly to Tom’s chest, but looked over towards Tuvok.

"Only that he left the state where you grew up in and made a life for himself in another state. He never remarried, and worked until he was old enough to retire then moved to Florida where he died in 2002"

"Melody, we don‘t know if you‘re father left on his own or was driven away by your mother and brother‘s. But as an innocent child you were not to blame for his leaving. You yourself said that you lived with your grandmother until her death. If he left before you were with your mother then he never meet you. You could not have had anything to do with his leaving, it was not your fault Melody"

"Melody, there may be a way to talk to Kes" said Chakotay.

"How? A vision quest?" asked Melody

"Yes, we can try,"

"I...I know it‘s not proper but can...can Tom and Tuvok be with us? I know you‘ve explained all about the vision quest, but for some reason I‘m scared," whispered Melody.

"Don‘t worry sweet one, we will all be with you. Nothing will harm you, whispered," Chakotay as he began to gently rub her back

Melody gave Chakotay and Tom a weak smile and snuggled into Tom‘s lap and fell asleep.

"Well start as soon as she wakes up, she‘ll need her strength and right now that comes from sleeping," said Chakotay as he looked at his oldest daughter.

While Melody slept Chakotay made arrangements for the vision quest. He spent the time getting their quarters ready and briefly telling Tom and Tuvok what was going to happen. When Melody awoke, they preformed the cleansing rituals, then informed the other‘s they were ready.

"Chakotay to Lt‘s Paris and Tuvok."

"Paris here Chakotay," replied Tom as soon as he heard Chakotay‘s call.

He had been sitting in Mess Hall trying to wait patiently for Melody to wakeup and Chakotay to finish preparing their quarters. Chakotay had explained a little of what was going to happen, but he still didn‘t fully understand. All he knew was this was important to Chakotay and would help Melody so he was going to do everything in his power to make sure that everything was done right.

"Tom, Melody is awake and ready for the vision quest."

"Acknowledged, on my way." Replied Tom as he rose from the couch and quickly made his way to their quarters.

"Acknowledged, Commander. I will be at your quarters shortly. Tuvok out."

Tom and Tuvok entered the Chakotay-Paris quarters to find Melody sitting in the middle of the living area floor. The lights were down to one-quarter illumination, with the dim light from the outside casting a weak shadow at her back.

"Mel?" asked Tom as he came over beside her and knelt down beside her.

Melody opened her eyes and looked into the face of her second father and smiled.

"I‘m fine, Tom. Really."

"Good, you had us worried sweet one."

"I know, and I‘m sorry about that. You to Tuvok, I know I shouldn‘t have shut everyone out but the memories were just so strong," said Melody then she started to shake slightly.

Chakotay and Tom quickly moved to her side gathering her into their arms, murmuring soothing words and rubbing her back until she calmed.

"No apologies are necessary Melody," answered Tuvok as he took his place across from Melody.

"You ready Melody?" asked Chakotay

"I think so."

At Melody‘s answer Tom and Chakotay took their places on either side of Melody. At Chakotay‘s nod Melody slowly began to open Chakotay‘s medicine bundle and picked up the river stone and then put her right hand on the Akoonah.

" A-Koo-Chee-Moya. We are far from the sacred places of our grandfather‘s. We are far from the bones of our people. But perhaps there is one powerful being that will help this young woman, and give her the answers she seeks." Said Chakotay softly.

Melody took a deep breath, slowly released it allowing *herself* to slowly leave her body then float toward a bright light. As she drew nearer to the light she saw a clearing where an older man and a young woman sat around a fire.

"Chakotay, Tom, Tuvok?" called Melody, her voice slightly quivering.

"We‘re here sweet one," answered Chakotay as he appeared beside her and took her hand.

A few seconds later Tom and Tuvok appeared beside her, Melody quickly grabbed Tom‘s hand and gave a weak smile to Tuvok.

"Are you ready, Melody? There is someone who is very eager to meet you,"

Melody looked towards the older man, and nodded. Hand in hand Chakotay lead her to the fire. Once in the circle Melody sat across from the man, staring for a few minutes then quickly ducking her head.

Kolopak smiled at his youngest son and his mate then crossed the circle to kneel in front of his adopted granddaughter. She was small, with dark brown hair. Just before she ducked her head he glimpsed blue-gray eyes, with innocence so deep that he wondered if she was truly an adult or the adult version of a child. But as he neared her he also felt great strength in her spirit to. She was a strange mixture of child and adult, who was very confused and hurting.

He knew that Chakotay and his mate had done everything they could for her and would continue too, but now she needed him and the young woman with him. So with a gently hand he lifted her chin to look into the eyes of his granddaughter.

"Welcome young one, my name is Kolopak. I am Chakotay‘s father," he said softly as he rubbed his thumb along her cheek.

At his touch Melody turned her cheek into his hand sighing deeply and relaxed as he pulled her into his arms. The four watched as Kolopak sat gentle rocking Melody in his arms talking softly to her.

An undetermined time later they saw Melody sudden sit up in Kolopak arms.

"No! Please grandfather, I don‘t want to go back. Not now, I just found you and Kes. I can‘t lose her again, not again!" cried Melody as she became increasingly upset.

Kes quickly crossed the circle and took Melody‘s hands in her own.

"You‘re not going to loose me again, Melody. I‘ll always be here with you, in your mind and in your heart." Answered Kes as she put her hand over Melody‘s heart.

At Kes‘s touch Melody calmed down a little but still clung tightly to Kolopak‘s arm.

"She‘s right young one. We are as much a part of you as Chakotay and Tom are. Anytime you need us we will be here for you."

"You promise, both of you?" asked Melody anxiously.

"Yes, young one. Anytime you need us just come to this place and we will be waiting for you." Answered Kolopak.

"I promise, Melody. But you can‘t keep shutting yourself off from anything that is associated with me."

"But it hurts to much!"

"I know sweet one, but what about all the good memories we made together. Will you forget them just because of some painful ones? You can‘t hide from them all your life Melody. Chakotay, Tom and the other‘s are there to help you, as are Kolopak and I. But it‘s got to be your choice, you have to take the first step." Said Kes as she slowly faded.

"Kes! No!" cried Melody as she reached out for the space where they young woman had been.

"Sleep young one, sleep. When you awake you will know what needs to be done," said Kolopak as he put his hand on Melody‘s forehead. Her eyes closed as she slowly fell into Chakotay‘s arms.

"Melody!" cried Chakotay, then suddenly they were back in their quarters aboard Voyager with Melody peacefully asleep in his arms.

At Chakotay‘s cry Tom opened his eyes to find himself back aboard Voyager and quickly moved over to Melody and ran a medical tricorder over her.

"She‘s just asleep Chak. Chakotay did we really see what we thought we saw?" asked Tom as he looked down at Melody.

"It was Melody‘s vision quest, but yes. I believe we were meant to see everything that happened to help her understand and deal with what happened here."

"Oh gods, I‘ve got to figure it out for myself before I can help Melody," said Tom.

"Don‘t worry, Tom. We will work it out together, then with the help of the rest of the crew help Melody understand,"

"Commander, may I say that I am honored to have been privileged to be a part of our recent experience and will endeavor to do my best." Said Tuvok as he rose to stand in front of the threesome.

Even for someone who was used to paranormal experiences that one was extraordinary. The total love, compassion, strength and wisdom that was present in that one circle for one person was extraordinary. With Commander Chakotay‘s father and the rest of Voyager‘s crew to guide and help Melody she couldn‘t help but succeed in anything she tried. Oh he was certain that there would be times when she would fall and would need that extraordinary strength to help put her back on the right track but he had no doubt that Melody possessed that strength as did Commander Chakotay and Lt. Paris.

He looked once again at the two men surrounding Melody and knew that she was in very good hands. He could take his leave and meditate; if he was needed he was certain that he would be called.

"Good evening, Commander, Lt." Tuvok bowed then left.

"Evening? Computer what time is it?" asked Tom

"The time is now 1523 hrs," replied the computer.

"Gods, I think we have been up for more than 26 hours,"

"I think your right slim, help me put Melody to bed then I‘ll see if I can‘t take care of you," said Chakotay as he past Melody into Tom‘s arms, and then rose off the floor.

He was defiantly getting too old for these long vision quests anymore. Maybe the next one he could try from the couch or at least sitting on a cushion. As he slowly worked the circulation back into his legs he followed Tom into Melody‘s room to make sure she was safety settled in bed. Tom set the computer to monitor her, and then they both quietly went to their room. They undressed quickly, not even bothering to perform their nightly routines. As they curled in each other‘s arms they quickly fell asleep safe in the fact that Kolopak and Kes were watching after Melody.

Melody slept for twenty-one hours straight only twice the computer signaling that she had becoming agitated. Tom and Chakotay quickly came in and calmed her down so she went quietly back to sleep. When she finally woke up Melody entered the living area of the Chakotay-Paris to find Tom, Chakotay, Captain Janeway, Tuvok, B‘Elanna, and Harry waiting for her.

"Hi sweet one, how are you feeling?" asked Harry

"Much better Harry, thank you." Answered Melody as she sat down on the couch between Tom and Chakotay.

"Is there anything you need to talk about or questions you need to ask, Mel?" asked Tom

"No, I think I understand everything, and what I need to do?" replied Melody

"And what is that Melody," asked Tuvok.

He had been meditation all the while Melody was sleeping and had come to the conclusion that Melody needed to face her fears to overcome them and move on, now the only part was wither Melody realized that too and how she faced up to them.

"I’ve got to stop hiding behind my work and face up to the fact that Kes is gone. I’ve been using work as an excuse and avoiding the holodecks because that’s where we spent most of our time."

"Very well thought out, Melody. Now what is your next step?"

"I would like to show you all the program where Kes and I spent most of our time. We both enjoyed it because it was a place where we could enjoy ourselves and act a fool if we wanted to and no one knew who we were. It’s and old Twentieth century place called a country western dance club. I’d like to take you all there if you don’t mind."

"I think that would be very nice, Mel," replied Tom as he pulled Melody to him.

"Thanks dad. Could you give me a few days to make a few changes? I’ll let you know when and what time, if that’s ok?" asked Melody as she looked over at Janeway and the others.

"That’s fine Melody, just let us know when your ready and we’ll be there. But do you mind if we do some research on our own?" asked Janeway.

"No, go right ahead aunt Kathryn, but I will warn you wear comfortable shoes," said Melody with a slight smile on her face.

"So noted, I’m glad your feeling better sweet one. If you need to talk just let us know alright?" said Kathryn as she stood up.

"I will aunt Kathryn, and thank you. Thank you all." Said Melody as she rose from the couch and gave Kathryn, then everyone else a hug as they left.

When everyone had gone Melody went back to the couch and snuggled into Chakotay’s arms.

"Daddy, do you think Ian will come if I ask him. I know I haven’t been that nice to him recently,"

"I’m sure he would love to come if you asked him Melody, and he knows you were having a difficult time dealing with Kes’s death. I’ll bet he just didn’t know how to help you so he just gave you some time and space to deal with it in your own way. But I know he’s concerned, because he has called and asked about you almost every day."

"He did?" asked Melody as she sat up and looked at both her father’s.

"Yep, everyday like clockwork he would call and ask how you were doing, and while you were on duty we were told he would monitor you very closely." Said Tom.

Melody gave a shy smile and snuggled back into Chakotay’s arms.

"I was afraid that I had pushed him away with this," whispered Melody softly.

"I don’t think so Mel, he cares for you just as much as before he just didn’t know how to help," answered Chakotay as he began rubbing her back.

"Are you getting tired again Mel?" asked Tom

"Physically, yes. I guess it’s because of everything that has been going on, but mentally I’m…" started Melody, then her stomach rumbled and she hid her face Chakotay’s chest.

Tom moved quickly to her side and ran a medical tricorder over her. He looked up at Chakotay and gave an affirmative nod.

"It’s just weakness from the exhaustion, she needs to eat and then take it easy for a few days. She pushed herself very hard for the past three weeks."

Chakotay carefully picked up Melody and took her back to her room while Tom got a light meal from the replicator. After Chakotay had Melody settled Tom brought in her food and together they sat and watched her eat then stayed with her until she was sleeping peacefully.

For the next few days Melody made her plans under the watchful eyes of Chakotay and Tom. While she was awake Melody worked on her holodeck program under the watchful eyes of the Doctor, B’Elanna, Harry or Tuvok, while she was asleep Tom or Chakotay watched her. Melody slept peacefully for the most part with only a few times crying out in her sleep. When the Doctor released Melody, she scheduled some holodeck time and sent messages for everyone to meet her at Holodeck Two at 19:30 hrs.

She had spent a good forty-five minutes deciding what to wear until she finally choose a denim skirt, with a blue oxford shirt and a denim vest. She knew that Kathryn wasn’t the only one who had done their own research into the proper attire to wear at a country western club. She had a good idea what Tom might wear since he was Voyager’s resident *expert* on the twentieth century, but she didn’t have any idea about the other’s. So after one more look at herself in the mirror she walked out into the Chakotay-Paris living area.

She had asked Ian to meet her at her quarters before the meet everyone else at the holodeck. Tom, Chakotay and Ian were all waiting for her, and all three rose when they heard her door open. Melody walked slowly into the room, to stand before the three men.

"Oh Mel…. You look…beautiful," said Tom as he came over to her and pulled her into his arms.

Melody slowly released her breath with a shy smile and laid her head on his chest, closing her eyes.

"Melody?" said Ian quietly as he looked at the two.

He knew the both Tom and Chakotay and practically the whole command staff had become very protective of Melody since Kes’s death. He also knew from the Doctor that she had gotten very sick and put a terrible strain on her health, but looking at her right now you couldn’t tell. Too him she looked the most beautiful women on Voyager and was slightly jealous that it was Tom’s arms around her and not his own.

At Chakotay’s soft cough Tom and Melody separated and Melody turned in Tom’s arms to face Chakotay and Ian.

"Ian, I wanted to talk to you before we got to the holodeck and everyone else. I just wanted to thank you for standing by me and watching over me while I tried to deal with Kes’s death. I know I wasn’t the easiest person in the world to be with during that time. Since then I’ve done a lot of thinking and I’ve come to realize one very important thing. I believe I’m falling in love with you Ian Daniels"

"Oh Melody…" said Ian as he came over to her and took her into his arms.

Ian looked over Melody’s shoulder to see Tom’s smile and mouthed. "You take care of her now," as Tom moved over by Chakotay to give the two of them some time alone.

"Are you sure, Melody?" asked Ian as he leaned back to look into her eyes.

Melody was a lot of things but a good liar wasn’t one of them, her eyes all ways gave her away. As he looked into her eyes the only thing he saw was a bright shining light directed at him.

"I’m as sure as anyone one can be with their first love Ian. I realized that you had become a very important part of my life and I just didn’t feel complete without you as a part of my life. I’m not sure what the future will bring but I do know for certain that I want you to be a big part of it. Please Ian?"

"You had doubts?"

"Well after the way I treated you and everyone else I was afraid that I had pushed you away to many time and you had become fed up with me." Answered Melody shyly as she lowered her voice and dropped her head.

"Melody Elaine Chakotay-Paris, let me tell you and your father’s one thing right now. There is nothing in this world that you could ever do to make me leave you. Whether you like it or not young lady you have my heart until the day I die and beyond. There will never be anyone for me but you." Said Ian as he raised her chin and gently leaned towards her to lay a light kiss on her lips. It was the feather light kiss of first love but also held a promise of great passion in the future.

At Chakotay’s clearing his throat Melody and Ian jerked apart and moved a few steps apart each with a slight blush to their checks.

"Oh sorry daddy…"said Melody shyly as she looked over at the smiling faces of both her father’s.

"Are we ready to go, Kathryn and the other’s are waiting for us," said Tom as he took a step to the side so Melody and Ian could go first.

"Yes, Dad. I think so. Oh and by the way. Nice butt, both of you," said Melody as she took Ian’s arms and led him out the door.

"Melody Elaine!!!!!!!" roared Chakotay as he watched the retreating back of his oldest daughter.

Tom stood looking at his husband and had to agree with Melody. Chakotay was wearing a pair of black jeans with a white shirt and a black leather vest. He looked down right edible and it was defiantly having an affect on his own blue jeans. He had chosen the more tradition dress wearing blue jeans, a western shirt and vest. Complete with a new pair of cowboy boots.

"Well she did say both of us and as far as I can see I am having the same effect on you that you are on me. So how about we get going before we are late for our own daughter’s party?" asked Chakotay as he grabbed Tom’s hand and pulled him out the door.

"Lead the way chief,"

TBC