Title: Thrown Through Time

Authors: R. Mason & Joanne Collins

Codes: C/P, C/P/M (only once), M/I (implied)

Ratings: G - NC - 17 (depending on where in the story)

Feedback: mchakoatyaparis@yahoo.com

Summary: See Chapter 1

Thrown Through Time

Chapter 27

When Melody heard Chakotay‘s COM she knew that her time was up. They had found her, nothing lasted for every certainly not on a ship the size of Voyager, someone was bound to notice. Sighing deeply she got up and went over to the computer panel and punched in the unlocking sequence. She went back over to the small couch that was in front the large picture window and waited until Tom and Chakotay found her.

When the doors slide opened Tom and Chakotay walked into a beautiful forest holoprogram, there was a cedar chip path that wound up to a large wood cabin that sat towards the back with a small lake behind it. The walked up the path and opened the front door to find Melody sitting on a small couch in front of the picture window. She was sitting with her arm over the back of the couch but facing the away from the door. Tom and Chakotay stood in the small front hallway looking around the cabin at spotted Melody sitting on the small couch.

As Melody heard the door opened she stopped petting the small calico cat in her lap, but didn‘t turn to face the door.

"I‘m assuming that Tuvok told you?" said Melody quietly.

"You knew he would, Melody. Why didn‘t you tell us yourself?" asked Tom as he came over and sat down beside her.

Chakotay had followed Tom but stopped with his back to Melody looking out of the window. He was deeply disturbed that she had not come to him when there was a problem. He knew that Melody trusted them, but obviously there were still a few things that she was still afraid to discuss even with him.

"Because you both were so happy, I didn‘t want to ruin your happiness by telling you that I wanted to go back on duty." Answered Melody sadly

At her words Chakotay turned to face his oldest daughter, and began to understand her reason. She was still thought that their happiness was the only reason she was still here on Voyager. With a sigh he walked to stand in front of her "But you weren‘t happy, sweet one," answered Chakotay "Why did you run and hide from us?"

"I don‘t know, Daddy. All I know is that I‘d do anything to make you both happy."

"But, Melody. We’re happy when you’re happy," said Tom.

"You know it hurt when you didn‘t come and talk to me about this?" said Chakotay quietly.

Melody looked up at him and saw the hurt look on his face; she quickly got up and wrapped her arms around his waist. "I‘m sorry, Chakotay. It‘s just after all you have been through I thought that you deserved to be happy for a while, even if that meant that I wasn’t" she said quietly.

"But what about you, sweet one?" said Chakotay as he leaned back to look at her.

"I’m happy just being you daughter."

"But you deserve so much more, Mel, said Tom as he got up and took both of them in his arms.

"Some times I wonder..." whispered Melody.

Tom and Chakotay stepped back and looked down at her. "What do you mean?"

Melody walked away from them and stood with her back to them. She didn‘t know how to explain to them, she wasn‘t even sure she understood it herself. When she turned around and saw the concerned looks on their faces she took a step towards them taking their hands.

"All my life I have never really felt wanted, and have been used by people that say they love me."

"Melody, we..." started Chakotay.

"No, Chakotay. Please listen to me. For most of my life I have been used. First by my mother and brothers and then lately even by both of you."

"Mel, but we..."sputtered Tom.

"Listen, please. The last time was my choice, but you have to admit. I was still just being used; I was a surrogate for carrying your children. I guess I made myself think it was different this time because it was my choice, but in the end it boiled down to the same thing. Almost everyone I know has wanted something from me, either to have sex, or carry their children or to take care of them later. I‘m not sure if anyone wants me just for of me."

"I know when I first came on board you both took me in because you felt sorry for me, and Aunt Kathryn let me stay because I had no other place to go. But sometimes I wonder if maybe it would have been better off if Harry had never found me. I‘m not that much good to anyone," At Tom and Chakotay beginning, utters Melody held up her hand to stop them.

"I know that I gave you two healthy children, but look at everything we went through to get them here. No matter how hard I try I‘m never really going to be totally up to date on all the changes that have happened"

"What do you mean? Melody," asked Chakotay.

"I‘ve read my medical reports. I know about the brain damage. A thing that I have learned now, there is a chance in thirty or forty years down the line I will have to relearn. What good am I going to be to anyone if I have to relearn everything again."

"Now you listen here, young lady. We may have taken you in at first because we felt sorry for you but we didn‘t ask you to become our daughter because we felt sorry for you. We have grown to love you a great deal Melody Elaine Chakotay-Paris and that is why you are our daughter and carried our children." Said Chakotay as he turned her around to face them.

"I don‘t understand?"

"No, I guess you don‘t and that‘s partly our fault. When you let us watch your personal logs and we realized how much you had been thinking about us have children. Did you think that it was your decision only?"

"Let me tell you something Melody, no matter how much you might have wanted to if we both hadn‘t agreed those two little ones out there, they wouldn‘t be here now. Yes, we used you as a surrogate to carry them but only because right now our duties were more important than us having a family. If we had been able to one of us would have carried Alaina and Garrick."

"Oh I would have loved to have seen that!" said Melody laughing slightly.

"Melody!"

"I‘m sorry, I think I understand. But what about everything else?"

"What do you mean, Mel?" asked Tom.

"People only came to see me because I was sick, and now that I‘m better all the seem to care about are Garrick and Alaina. The first thing out of everyone‘s mouth is "How are the twins?" or "Can I feed one of them?" It‘s almost like I don‘t count anymore, now that you both have a real son and daughter you don‘t need me except to take care of them." said Melody as she turned and ran out of the room.

"Oh damn!" said Chakotay as he turned and looked at Tom.

What had gone wrong? Melody felt like all she was need for now was to take care of the twins. Well she was wanted and need for a lot more than that. She knew the old ways of old ways of earth, and could teach them to rely on themselves not just technology.

"We need to find her, Cha," said Tom.

"I know, lets go," said Chakotay as they left the cabin.

Outside a peaceful forest surrounded the cabin. Lots of large trees with a beautiful medium size lake behind the cabin about five meters away. There was a small wooden pier leading out into the lake.

Melody was sitting on edge throwing rocks into the lake as they walked up beside her. Tom and Chakotay sat down on either side of her and watched as she threw rock after rock into the lake. After a while she stopped and just stared at the lake.

"Melody."

"Look guys, I‘m sorry I said that. It‘s just that it seems no one wants to spend time with just me anymore. Everyone either thinks of me as Alaina and Garrick‘s sisters, or Tom and Chakotay‘s daughter. Whether you know it our not you two cast some pretty big shadows. Sometimes I‘m not sure just exactly who Melody Elaine Chakotay-Paris is," said Melody softly.

"I can tell you who she is? She is a very strong, courageous, sweet, beautiful young woman who would do anything to make two silly old men happy," said Tom.

"I keep telling you, you‘re not *that* old!" exclaimed Melody.

"Well neither of us are spring chickens either, young lady. We’re really sorry if we have neglected you, sweet one. We just didn‘t realize," said Chakotay.

"I know, and my running off like this doesn’t help either does it?"

"No it doesn‘t, I’ll tell you what. How about we talk to Kathryn about assigning you to half-day duty shifts and back on the emergency replacement schedule. That way if something comes up and you have to take someone‘s place one of us will still be with the twins," said Chakotay.

"You mean it?"

"Yes, sweet one. And about us not spending time with you."

"Oh I understand, Voyager comes first."

"Not when it comes to our family it doesn‘t. I‘m going to ask if we can‘t work out a flexible day off schedule for everyone so the have set days off with their family or loved one."

"Oh guys, thank you. Can I ask one more question?"

"Sure, sweet. What is it?" said Tom.

"Can I keep this place to myself. I mean I love spending time with you both and all but..."

"It‘s all right, Melody. We understand, everyone needs a place to come and be by themselves. The only thing we ask is that you take the privacy lock of so we can find you if we have to," said Tom.

"And how did you find out about that!" asked Melody quickly as she looked at the two men. Someone had been watching her and she had a good idea who it was.

"The Doctor, he noticed your increased use of the holodeck and tried to find out where you were."

"I guess I had more people worried than I thought, Huh..."

"Yes you did, love."

"I‘m sorry."

"Don‘t be love, just always remember that we love you," said Chakotay.

"I‘ll try."

"If you find yourself forgetting, just look at your ring," said Tom as he took her hand. "It‘s a mixture of both of us, we meant every word we said at the wedding, Melody."

"You may not be our biological daughter, but you are a mixture of both of us. In the most important way, our hearts. When we put that ring on your finger the three of us became one. Remember that, love," said Chakotay

Melody looked at the two men sitting beside her and realized then that all her fears were groundless. She was truly loved and no matter how often she felt used she knew in her heart that Tom and Chakotay had chosen her for their daughter. She looked down at her ring again then launched herself into Tom‘s arms and soon Chakotay was pulling both of them into the protective warmth of his arms.

They sat on the deck in each others arms until a small white ball of fur nudged it‘s way into Melody‘s lap.

"Melody, what is that?" asked Tom as he saw the white fur ball and moved back.

"*That* is a cat, Tom. Don‘t tell me you guys have never seen one before?" said Melody as she stroked it‘s fur.

"No, I don‘t think we have them on earth anymore?"

Melody looked at Tom in astonishment. She remembered reading in the database that since the twenty-second century the domestic cat population had been declining so in about the middle of the twenty-three century they had become extinct. With most of the populations in computer-controlled environments, star ships, scientific compounds or on other planets the need and desire for them as pets had declined.

"Chakotay?"

"Sorry, sweet one. Dorvan V didn‘t exactly have the climate to accommodate an animal like that."

"Boy, now I know things have changed. Well let me introduce you to her." Said Melody as she picked up the animal. "This gentlemen is a cat. A calico cat to be precise. Her name is Calla and she is a holoprogram of one of the cats that was on my grand mamma‘s farm. Calla, this is Chakotay and Tom," Melody held the cat up to each man.

"Hello."

"Hi."

"Oh come on, guys. She‘s not going to bite."

"That‘s what you said about you too and I seem to remember getting my head bitten off a few times," said Tom.

"I remember that. You know I never have never gotten you back for that remark yet either."

"Mel!"

"Oh don‘t worry, Tom. I‘ve forgiven you."

"If I remember correctly it was both of us who ended up with broken fingers, not to mention Ensign Daniels," reminded Chakotay.

"And who was dumb enough to hold my hand in the first place?" remarked Melody.

"All right, sweet one. Truce?" asked Chakotay.

"Truce, only if you remember who won. Come on, I think we should go rescue Aunt Kathryn and B‘Elanna from your children," said Melody as she stood up.

"How do you know who has Alaina and Garrick?" asked Tom.

"What! You‘re the only ones who can check on them!" said Melody as she stood up and headed back to their cabin.

"Melody Elaine!"

Melody was halfway to the holodeck doors before Tom and Chakotay caught up with her.

"You know, young lady. You have a very devious mind," said Tom as he slipped his arm around her waist.

"I know, but you love me anyway," said Melody as turned smiling at the two men then left.

"That we do, sweet one. That we do," replied Chakotay as he followed her out of the holodeck.

It was a very haggard Kathryn Janeway and B‘Elanna Torres that opened the door at Melody‘s call. Janeway had taken them back to her quarters and they had been fine up until two hours ago. Both women had checked their diapers and tried to give them a bottle but nothing seemed to help. Alaina and Garrick had been crying for an hour and a half straight. At the sound of the chime Janeway jumped up and ran to the door.

"Come!" she called loudly.

Melody, Tom and Chakotay entered to a room filled with the sounds of crying babies and two very exhausted women.

"Thank god, Melody! I don‘t understand what‘s wrong with them? I‘ve tried everything I know and they are still crying," said Janeway as she handed Garrick to Melody.

"Come here, little man," said Melody as she took him into her arms and felt his stomach. "Well it no wonder, you were a being greedy again weren‘t you," Melody looked up and smiled at the woman standing before her. "It’s all right Aunt Kathryn, he‘s just got colic. He probably ate to fast."

Melody walked over to the couch and sat down laying Garrick across her lap gently patting his back.

"What about her?" asked B‘Elanna as she came over holding a crying Alaina.

"Check her stomach, is it hard?" asked Melody.

B‘Elanna felt Alaina‘s stomach, and then answered. "No."

"Then she‘s just probably upset because of Garrick. Chakotay why don‘t you take her and see if you can calm her down?" suggested Melody.

"How?"

"Rocking her would be a good start, where are there bags?" asked Melody as she stood up and put Garrick on her shoulder.

"In here, I‘ll get them," said Janeway as she disappeared into her bedroom then returned quickly with the bag.

"I think we had better go home and put these two to bed. Thanks for everything, Aunt Kathryn, Aunt B‘Elanna. We owe you big time for this," said Melody as she took the bag from Janeway.

"Any time, sweet. Just try not to make it in the near future, OK?" said Janeway.

"You got a deal, good night," called Melody as she left.

"Thank you, Kathryn, B‘Elanna," said Chakotay as he looked at the two women then followed Melody.

"Good night, Captain, B‘Elanna," said Tom.

As the door closed behind Tom, Janeway and B‘Elanna collapsed on the couch.

"I don‘t know how she doesn‘t it, all day long with both of them," said B‘Elanna.

"Now I see why she wants to go back on duty. I‘d take a Vi’dian attack over a night of that!" said Janeway.

"Oh come on, Captain. He wasn‘t all that bad!"

"No, he was worse. He certainly has the Paris lungs, that‘s for sure."

"Lets just hope Garrick doesn‘t inherent Tom‘s mouth along with those lungs."

"Or Melody‘s. You should have heard her in sickbay before Garrick was born. Some of her choice of phrases..."

"I know, when I was teaching her about Klingon she wanted me to teach her how to cuss in Klingonees."

"You didn‘t did you?"

"Captain! Oh course not! I told her she‘d have to talk to Chakotay first. Luckily she‘s never brought it back up."

"That doesn‘t mean she‘s forgotten," reminded Janeway.

"I know, at least I will say this much for her. She‘s going to keep those two on their toes."

"That she will, B‘Elanna. That she will!"

"Well, I don‘t know about you but I hear my bed calling me. Good night, Captain," said B‘Elanna as she got up and left.

"Good night, B‘Elanna. Computer, lights out," called Janeway as she headed towards her bedroom

When the three of them entered their quarters Chakotay took Alaina into the nursery while Melody sat down on the couch with Garrick. A few minutes later Chakotay came out and went to her side.

"She‘s finally asleep, how‘s Garrick?" asked Chakotay as he sat down.

"Not much better, but I have an idea. Would you hold him a minute while I get some things?" asked Melody as she passed him over.

"Melody?"

"Oh come on, Chakotay...I‘ll be right back," she said as she kissed his cheek then with into her room.

Five minutes later she returned to the living area wearing a pair of shorts and a tee shirt, she took Garrick from Chakotay and went back into her room. Tom and Chakotay just looked at each other then followed her into her room. Melody had filled the bathtub with warm water and was sitting on her knees with Garrick lying on her legs. She had turned the heat up so it was quite warm. The water was just covering the top of her leg and she had a towel gently washing the water over him as she slowly calmed down.

Melody was so intend on taking care of Garrick that she didn‘t see Tom and Chakotay standing in the doorway watching her.

"Mel?" said Tom softly.

"Oh hi, Tom, Chakotay. It think it‘s working," said Melody as she continued to wash the warm water over his body.

"What are you doing?"

"It‘s an old fashion remedy from my century. You put a baby in warm water with a capful of Vapor Bath Oil and it helps relax them enough to ease up the cramps."

"That‘s amazing, sweet one. Where did you learn that?" asked Chakotay.

"You learn a lot of things getting bounced from state to state. Sometimes there wasn‘t always a hospital or doctor handy so most of the women followed these old wives remedies. I was never certain if any of them worked but now I guess I know," said Melody as she started to stand up.

"Here, Mel. Let me take Garrick," said Tom as he stepped forward with a towel and wrapped it around his son.

"Thanks, Tom," said Melody as she stepped out of the tub and toweled off her legs and feet.

After she was dry she took Garrick from Tom and carried him into the nursery, laying him in his crib. She quickly changed and dressed him then covered him up calling for lights out as she left. She was smiling as she left but barely made it to the couch before Garrick started crying again. Melody sighed heavily then went to get him before he woke up Alaina.

Melody reentered the living room carrying Garrick on her shoulder wrapped in a blanket. Melody looked at the two men on the couch and sighed.

"Well guys, it looks like this is going to be an all niter. So why don‘t you two go to bed while I stay up with him?"

"Melody, we can‘t leave you with him like that?" said Chakotay as he looked at the crying baby in her arms.

"Chakotay, I really appreciate the thought but there is no sense in all of us losing sleep over this. Besides I‘m not back on duty *yet*, but you two are. Go to bed and I‘ll sound proof this room so you can‘t hear him."

"Mel?"

"For once would you two not argue with me about this? Please."

"All right, good night Melody. Little man," replied Chakotay as she came over and kissed them both.

"Good night, Sweet one. Garrick," said Tom as he followed suit. After one more backwards glance both men retreated to their bedroom closing the door behind them.

"Finally!" sighed Melody as she saw the door close. "All right, young man. Let‘s get you settled down." Melody reached into the bag that was left of the couch and retrieved Garrick‘s pacifier placing it in his mouth. "Computer, engage sound proofing this room only and play Chakotay-Paris lullabies Beta One," said Melody as she started walking the length of the living area.

"Engaged," replied the computer

As the soft music started Melody kept up her walking that would last all night. At 0500 Alaina woke so Melody put Garrick in the swing while she feed her. After feeding, burping and changing her Melody put Alaina back to bed and once again started on Garrick. After stopping to burp him every four ounces, Melody finally got him to finish his bottle and with one huge burp and a sigh he fell asleep against her chest.

"Oh thanks a bunch, little man. Do you know what time it is?" asked Melody softly as she lay down on the couch. Garrick just snuggled deeper into her chest and sighed again. "I guess not, Huh..." she replied closing her eyes. Soon Melody was sound asleep with Garrick lying on her chest.

TBC