Title: Thrown Through Time

Authors: R. Mason & Joanne Collins

Codes: C/P, C/P/M (only once), M/I (implied)

Ratings: G – NC – 17 (depending on where in the story)

Feedback: mchakotayaparis@yahoo.com

Summary: See Chapter 1

Thrown Through Time

Chapter 25

The next day the Doctor released Garrick and Alaina from sickbay and a very proud but nervous Tom and Chakotay brought them home to their quarters. B‘Elanna and her engineering crew and already turned part of Melody‘s living area into a small room for them and her, Captain Janeway and Samantha had finished decorating the room several weeks earlier. Now that they had the baby‘s home it seemed somehow different without Melody there. The Doctor wanted to keep her another day for observations and test because the labor had been so long and hard. As they each laid their bundle in their crib they looked around and saw how much Melody had become a part of even these two.

"It‘s going to be strange not having her here today," said Tom as he looked down at the two sleeping children.

"I know, but the Doctor just wants to make sure she‘s all right before we bring her home. She‘s had a really hard time," reminded Chakotay.

"Yeah, I know. You know I wonder if she ever regrets do it?" asked Tom.

"I‘ve thought that myself when I saw how long her labor was. But when it was over and she asked about the babies I could see the love that was in her eyes. I think she might have been right when she said you have to look past all the pain to the end product."

"All I know is that I would have died if we‘d lost her yesterday. I never really knew until that moment just how much she‘s has come to mean to me," said Tom as he leaned into Chakotay‘s arms.

"I know, Tom," replied Chakotay as he looked at the man in his arms. "Lets let these two sleep and go check on Melody."

They walked out of the babies room arm in arm and went start to the COM system.

"Commander Chakotay to sick bay."

"Sick bay here, Go ahead."

"How is Melody doing?" asked Tom.

"She is fine, she‘s sleeping right now," informed the Doctor.

"OK, keep us posted if there is any change."

"I will, Commander. Sick bay out," said the Doctor as he signed off.

He had been wondering how long before they would call to check on Melody and they had lasted all of thirty minutes. Those two were going to drive Melody crazy if they keep this up, but he could understand. She had been through a great ordeal and they both needed to reassure themselves that she was all right. He went over and scanned her once more, just to be safe before going into his office to work on his reports.

The rest of the day past fairly uneventful except for the times when the little ones were hungry. Since her pregnancy and labor had taken a toll on Melody the Doctor had suggested that the twins be put on a formula supplement that could be given in bottle form. They had tried to get Garrick to drink from the bottle but all he would do was move his head around and cry louder until finally they ended up calling Samantha to come and help.

She spent the day teaching both men the finer points of taking care a newborn baby and even talked Tom into holding Alaina once while she took her bottle. She stayed until after they were both feed and bath for the last time that night before leaving the two new fathers to fend for themselves.

Everything went fine until 0200 when Alaina and Garrick both woke up for their 2 am feeding.

"Chakotay! Chakotay, the kids are crying," said Tom as he shook the older man.

"Let Melody or Samantha get them," replied Chakotay as he rolled over.

"Chak, Melody‘s not here and Samantha went back to her own quarters. We’re on our own remember," said Tom as he climbed out of bed.

"Oh yeah, I‘ll get the bottles while you get the kids," said Chakotay as he got up and headed into the living area.

A few minutes later Tom came out of the nursery holding a squirming bundle in each arm. "Here, take one before I drop them," said Tom as he passed Alaina to Chakotay then sat down with Garrick.

Chakotay handed him a bottle and he held it in front of Alaina‘s mouth. "Come on, little one. I know you‘re hungry. Take the bottle," She rutted around for a few seconds more then latched onto the nipple and started sucking greedily.

Tom was having a similar problem with Garrick but soon he to was sucking away greedily at his bottle. "You know, I think they miss Melody."

"They’re not the only ones, Tom," replied Chakotay as he looked down at his other daughter in his arms.

An hour later Tom and Chakotay had both Alaina and Garrick fed, burped and changed and had them back asleep in their cribs, then stumbled back into their room.

At 0700 the next morning both men were waiting in sick bay while the Doctor finished his last scan on Melody. They had asked an eager *Aunt Kathryn* to watch the babies as they went to pick up Melody from sickbay. As he closed his tricorder they both neared her bed.

"Well Doctor, how is she?" asked Chakotay.

"Aside from having just have given birth to twins and total exhaustion she is fine, gentlemen. She is to have complete bed rest and sleep as much as possible," answered the Doctor.

"I don‘t think that‘s going to be a problem, Doc. You ready to go home, Mel?" asked Tom.

"You bet, no offense intended. But I‘m ready to get out of here, Doc," said Melody.

"None taken, Melody. I‘m glad you are able to go home. I‘ll need to see you next week for a reevaluation."

"OK, lets get this show on the road guys," said Melody as she swung her feet off the side of the bed them slide down. As soon as her feet hit the floor he knees buckled almost sending her to the floor. Tom and Chakotay grabbed both her arms and held her up. "I guess I‘m not as strong as I thought I was. Sorry guys."

"There‘s nothing to be sorry for Melody. Remember you just gave up two beautiful babies. Now let us take care of you too," said Chakotay as he scooped her into his arms.

"I guess I don‘t have a choice, do I?"

"None what so ever, young lady. Now lean back and enjoy," said Chakotay as he started out of the door.

"Mr. Paris, here is a list of things that will need to be done for Melody while she recuperates. Some of them you might want to get Captain Janeway or Kes to help with," suggest the Doctor as he handed the PADD to Tom.

Tom took the PADD from the Doctor then read it over quickly. "Uhh, yeah. Thanks, Doc. I think we will," said Tom as he left to catch up with Melody and Chakotay.

When they got into the turbo lift Melody was all ready asleep against Chakotay‘s chest.

"Uhh, Cha. We may have a problem with taking care of Melody," said Tom when the doors closed.

"What do you mean? We have taken care of her before."

"Not like this, Cha. Look," said Tom as he held the PADD up for Chakotay to read. When he had finished his face was visible paler. "Oh, my. I suppose we could ask Kathryn or Samantha to help."

"Yes, but if they are busy we will have to do it. Do you think we can handle it?"

"Tom, it‘s not like neither of us have never been with a women before!"

"I know that, Chakotay. I just mean it‘s different because it‘s Melody," replied Tom.

"Well, I guess we will just have to "screw up our courage" as she says and do this for her. It‘s not like she hasn‘t ever done something like that for us. If her reports are true I‘d say she took pretty good *private care* of us when we were sick," reminded Chakotay.

"You’re right, lets just hope it doesn‘t come to that."

"If it does it does, Tom. We‘ll deal with it," said Chakotay as the turbo lift doors open.

They carried her to their quarter were Captain Janeway was watching the babies.

"Well, welcome home again. How‘s she doing?" asked Janeway as he walked over to Melody.

"She‘s a sleep again, would you mind helping me put her to bed?"

"Sure, Chakotay," she said as he followed him into Melody‘s room. She could tell that something was on his mind that he needed to talk about.

After they had settled Melody into bed and made sure she was comfortable they stood standing in the doorway watching her.

"What‘s the matter, Chakotay? Is something wrong with Melody?" asked Janeway.

"No, the Doctor says she fine but she‘s just so weak. She can hardly stay awake for any length of time now."

"Give her time. She‘s been through a great deal."

"I know, sometimes I wonder if it was right to ask her to go through all of that for us?"

"You didn‘t ask, Chakotay. Remember that she volunteered. But I‘d bet that she‘d say it was worth it all if you asked her."

"I hope you right, Kathryn," he replied softly.

"Talk to her, Chakotay. Don‘t let this come between what you three have. You both are very fortunate men."

"We know, we know," he whispered.

"Look, I‘ve got to go on duty now. I‘ll stop by later and see how she‘s doing. OK?"

"Uhh, Kathryn. Before you go. The Doctor gave up a PADD with some things that will need to be done for Melody while she recuperates and some of them are pretty personal..."

"It‘s OK, Commander. I‘ll help however I can. Just let me know when you need me and I‘ll be there," said Janeway with a smile. She knew exactly what Chakotay was referring to and she would have loved to see Tom or Chakotay taking care of Melody. But the young woman had enough problems with sex without adding to it so for Melody‘s sake she would help. She patted his arm and smiled then left.

Chakotay looked over at the young woman lying in the bed and stroked her forehead. She still looked tired, and there were some small pain lines on her face. But he had to admit that next to Tom she was the most beautiful sight he had ever seen. He leaned down and kissed her gently on the forehead as she murmured in her sleep.

"Shhh, baby. It‘s all over now, rest. Rest and get better. We love you, sweet one," he whispered as he kissed her again, then left.

At 1800 Melody awoke to the faint cries of an infant. She looked around quickly before she remembered what had happened. She had given birth; it had started as a nagging backache and lasted fifteen hours. She remembered hearing the Doctor saying that they had a son, but then something had gone wrong. Her stomach had been on fire. She looked down and saw that she was no longer pregnant so she must have delivered both of them. The cries where getting louder so she crawled over to the edge of the bed and tried to stand but fell in a heap beside the bed. An instant later Chakotay was standing in the doorway glaring down at her.

"Melody! What do you think you are doing?" he yelled as he came over to her side.

"The babies...I heard," started Melody, then she grabbed her stomach as a cramp hit her.

Chakotay scooped her into his arms and put her back to bed. "You‘re under orders to stay in bed, young lady. Stay there and I‘ll get them for you," he said as he left, but returned with a crying bundle in his arms. He handed Alaina to Melody and she settled down.

"Well, thanks a lot, little one. I knew you didn‘t like me but..."

"She doesn‘t know you, Chakotay. At this age all they do is eat, sleep and shit."

"Language, love," replied Chakotay as he sat down beside her on the edge of the bed.

"I‘m sorry, I guess you‘re right. I am going to have to watch my mouth now that these two are around."

"Does someone need a bottle?" asked Tom as he came in hold a bottle of formula.

"Thanks, Tom. She thinks she‘s starving," replied Melody as she gave the bottle to Alaina. She grabbed hold of the nipple and sighed sucking continently.

"How are you feeling, Mel?" asked Tom as he sat in the rocker beside the bed.

"I‘m fine, still a little tired and a lot skinner but OK"

"You know, you had us worried there for a while young lady," remarked Chakotay.

"Well believe me, I was beginning to worry myself towards the end. I‘m not sure I‘m ready to do that again for quiet a while yet."

"Melody, do you regret going through all the pain?" asked Chakotay quietly.

"Gods no, Chakotay! Just look at them. Their beautiful, a perfect combination of both of you. You both are the most important people in my life right now and I‘d do anything to make you happy."

"Oh you have, Mel. Believe me you have," replied Tom.

"Good, cause I don‘t want to hear any more about either of you having doubts about me carrying your children. It was a privilege and an honor and except for a few times, I would like to do it again."

"Again!" they both cried in unison.

"Relax guys, not right now. When these two are older," said Melody laughing.

"Well talk about that later, young lady. Much later," replied a skeptic Chakotay.

Just then another cry was heard from the next room.

"Uhh, oh. Sounds like someone else is getting hungry."

"I‘ll get him. You finish little one, there," said Chakotay as he looked down at Alaina in Melody‘s arms then left to get Garrick. A few minutes later he returned with a crying baby in one arm and a bottle in the other.

"Here, Tom. You want to burp Alaina while I start on him?"

"I don‘t know Mel..."

"Oh come on guys, don‘t tell me I‘m going to be stuck with all the feedings. They’re your kids remember?"

"All right, had him over" said Tom as he rose from the rocker.

"Just a suggestion? You might want to get a towel unless you want to smell like sour milk?"

"No thank you!" replied Tom as he hurried to the bathroom, returning with a small towel.

"I gathered they have all ready christened you once. Oh well, that‘s life with a baby." said Melody as she held the sleeping infant out to Tom. He had to take her or let her drop on Melody‘s lap. He put her to his shoulder, then sat down in the rocker gently patting her back.

Melody had taken Garrick from Chakotay and was trying to get him to take the bottle when she noticed Chakotay watching him. "Do you want to feed him?"

"No thanks, love. I‘ll just watch you for a while," replied Chakotay with a smile.

"All right, but your time will come," said Melody as she turned her attention to the fussing infant. Soon he was sucking continently away while Melody leaned her head back against the bed board. She was getting tired again. It wasn‘t long before both Melody and Garrick where both asleep. Tom had burped Alaina and was just enjoying the feel of the small warm body against his chest when he noticed Melody.

"Cha, why don‘t you burp Garrick while I put Alaina back to bed," said Tom as he gently rose from the rocker.

"Tom, I’m not sure..."

"Oh come on, Cha. She was right you know. We can‘t expect her to do all the feedings, and besides they are our kids."

"All right,"

"Just do what we did last night, get a towel and lay him against your chest patting his back. It‘s really easy," said Tom as he left.

"Easy huh, well we‘ll see how easy it really is little man," said Chakotay as he got the towel then took Garrick from Melody‘s arms. They were both so sound asleep that neither of them moved or woke up when he took Garrick from her arms. He sat down in the rocker just as Tom returned.

"See Cha, I told you it was easy. You put him to sleep and I‘ll take care of Melody," said Tom as he walked over to the bed. He gently settled Melody under the sheet, tucking her in when she was laying down. "Good night, love," whispered Tom as he kissed her forehead.

When Chakotay had burped Garrick he carried him back to his room putting him in his crib, then came back to check on Melody. She was sleeping peacefully. He kissed her cheek and gently stroked her hair.

"Thank you again, sweet one. I love you," he whispered, and then left.

After her duty shift Captain Janeway came as promised to check on Melody. They said she was asleep, but soon heard a noise from her room. They entered to find Melody trying to sit up on the sit of the bed.

"Melody! What are you doing, you need to rest," exclaimed Chakotay as he came over beside her.

"No, right now. I need to go into the bathroom. Could one of you..."

"Don‘t worry, sweet. I‘ll help," said Tom as he came in front of her.

"Uhh, I‘d rather have Aunt Kathryn. It‘s kind of personal," explained Melody shyly.

"Oh."

"I‘m right here, Melody," said Janeway from the doorway. "Come on, sweet. We‘ll get you taken care of." As she came over and helped the young women into the bathroom. "Don‘t worry, Chakotay. She‘ll be fine," said Janeway as she closed the door.

A few minutes later they heard the tub filling with water, and five minutes later Janeway came out again.

"Kathryn?" said Tom as she came back out.

"Don‘t worry, guys. She‘s just had a bout of severe cramps and had an accident. Why don‘t you go and find something that will help ease her pain," said Janeway as she retrieved some clean clothes for Melody then returned to the bathroom.

Chakotay looked at the door then smiled at Tom as he left to get something for Melody, he was returning with a tray of food as Janeway was helping Melody back to bed. After she settled her into the bed, Chakotay sat down on the edge of the bed beside her.

"Are you all right, sweet one?" he asked anxiously.

"I‘m fine, Daddy. It was just a female problem from giving birth," said Melody with a smile.

At Chakotay‘s relief Melody‘s smile got wider and she said with a laugh. "I think next time I‘ll let one of you experience the wonders of child birth."

"Now lets not get carried away, Melody. I still need my First Officer and Con Pilot," replied Janeway.

"Oh don‘t worry, Aunt Kathryn. I was only kidding, I bet it’s going to be a while before we do this again."

"You can count on it, young lady! Are you ready to eat?" asked Tom.

"I guess so, but I‘m really not that hungry."

"Don‘t worry, Mel. The Doctor told us what to give you for the next few day."

"Oh, really. Nice of him," replied Melody sarcastically.

"It‘s something you‘re going to like, sweet one," said Chakotay as he place the tray on her lap.

Melody looked at the tray then picked up the mug taking a small sip. "This is good, what is it?"

"An herbal tea, it is suppose to help with cramping and bleeding," explained Chakotay shyly.

"It‘s OK, Chakotay. I appreciate the though," said Melody as she took another drink. She soon finished the mug then started in on the bowl of soup. When she was finished Chakotay took the tray while Tom and Janeway helped Melody lay down. When Chakotay returned Melody was closing her eyes.

"Are you feeling better, Melody?" asked Chakotay as he sat down beside her again.

"Much better, thank you. Daddy, would you tell me a story?" asked Melody as she opened her eyes to look up at him.

"What kind of story, sweet?"

"I don‘t care, I just want to hear you voice for a while, please?" asked Melody as she closed her eyes again.

"Sure thing, sweet one. Once there was an angry warrior...."

During the first week that Melody was home she spent most of her time in bed eating then falling asleep. Tom or Chakotay would bring the Garrick and Alaina to her for most of their feeding but would occasionally let her sleep through their 0200 feeding. Captain Janeway, B‘Elanna, Kes and Samantha stopped by everyday to check on her and helped her with her personal care so Tom and Chakotay never worry about that. When after three weeks in bed the Doctor told her she could get up and spend some time sitting up, Melody jumped at the invitation and Tom and Chakotay came home to find Melody sitting on the couch.

"Mel, what do you think you are doing out here?" asked Tom as he came in walked over to her taking the PADD from her hand.

"I‘m working on Chakotay’s reports is what I‘m doing Mr. Paris, and the Doctor said I could start getting up as long as I didn‘t push myself to much," said Melody as she grabbed the PADD back from him.

"Were going to clear this with the Doctor, you know that young lady," said Chakotay as he went over to the COM system.

"Fine, go ahead. He‘ll tell you the same thing," said Melody as she got up and walked into her room slamming the door.

"Chakotay to Sick bay."

"Sick bay here, go ahead, Commander," replied the Doctor.

"Doctor, did you clear Melody to get out of bed?" asked Tom.

"Yes, I did. As long as she doesn‘t exert herself to much she can spend a few hours every day sitting up if she feels like it."

"Oh, god. Thanks, Doc," said Tom as he closed the COM link.

"We had better go apologize to her, Tom," said Chakotay as he headed towards her bedroom.

As they neared her door, they could hear the sounds of soft crying coming from behind the door. They softly knocked calling. "Melody, sweet one. We need to talk to you."

"Go away! You don‘t trust me anymore!" yelled Melody.

"Mel, you know that‘s not true," said Tom.

"Yes, it is! You didn‘t believe me to even tell you what the Doctor said. Now, Go away!"

"Computer, open bedroom door," said Chakotay.

"Unable to comply."

"Computer, override. Authorization Chakotay Alpha 1171."

"Authorization accepted," said the computer as the door opened.

They entered the room to find the lights down low, and Melody sitting in the chair quietly crying. Chakotay and Tom approached her and bend down in front of her.

"Melody."

"Don‘t touch me," said Melody as she jerked her legs away from them and tried to stand. She hadn‘t been on her feet for long and she swayed, then fell into their hands.

"Mel!" said Tom as he grabbed her, carrying her to the bed. He got the tricorder from her nightstand and quickly scanned her. She was fine, just her blood pressure was a little low. He closed the scanner and sat down beside her on the bed.

"Melody, were really sorry about what happen earlier," said Tom as he reached for her shoulder.

"Why don‘t you trust me anymore? What have I done to done to make you mad?" asked Melody as she climbed into his arms crying.

"Oh, Melody," said Chakotay as he sat down beside them stroking her back.

They sat there holding and stroking her until she calmed down and looked up at both of them.

"You haven‘t done anything, sweet one. It‘s us, we were so worried about you while you were in labor that we have become a little over protective of you."

"A little, Huh," said Melody skeptically.

"All right, young lady. A lot, but you have to understand our point of view here. You are the second most important thing in our lives right now. We all most lost you several times, and I think that might make us entitled to be a little overprotective," explained Chakotay.

"I‘m sorry, Daddy. It‘s just that I‘ve been stuck in this bed for three weeks now, then when I finally get to spend some time with you I get yelled at."

"I‘m sorry about that Mel," said Tom. "I didn‘t realize that you missed spending time with us?"

"Tom! You guys are important to me! I enjoy spending time with you."

"All right, young lady. Were yours for the evening, what would you like to do?" asked Chakotay.

"You mean that! How about we go out to the resort."

"Melody."

"No, Huh. All right, how about a movie and some cuddle time? Think you can handle that?"

"You got it. You sure you feel up to it?" asked Tom.

"Would you two cut that out! I‘m fine, now go get the vid player set up while I get some warmer clothes on," said Melody as she crawled off the bed and went into the bathroom.

"Chakotay, I‘m not sure this is going to be such a good idea," said Tom as he looked at the closed door.

"I know, Tom. But it‘s what she needs right now," replied Chakotay.

"I guess I can control myself, for a little while anyway," replied Tom as he grabbed Chakotay around the neck.

"Oh, yeah. Well I‘ll just see what I can do about that," said Chakotay as he leaned closer and the two men fell backwards on Melody‘s bed.

They lay there kissing until they heard a voice clearing behind them.

"I know you two can‘t keep your hands off each other, but do you mind at least using your own bedroom please," said Melody as she stood there smiling at the two. They both jumped apart standing up as quickly as their tangled legs would permit.

"Mel."

"Sweet one."

"Relax, guys. I was joking, now come on. I have the prefect movie to cool you two off with," said Melody as she walked past them into the living area.

For the next two hours Tom, Chakotay and Melody sat on the couch in each other’s arms watching "The Best Little Whorehouse In Texas".

TBC