This is my first series I've ever written. Please be kind. This story is an alternate future for B'Elanna and Tom. It's what I think would have happened to them if Vorik was a no-show. I'm sorry if this has already been done, though I doubt anything with my ending has been. What's my ending? Well, you have to read it to find out. This story is copyright 1997 by Tammy Lee. Paramount has the rights to the USS Voyager and her crew, no copyright infringement intended.

Another Night Chapter One By Tammy Lee Vorik was busy at a console. He was furiously disabling the transporters, shuttles and communications, and adding an encryption sequence. Nothing would stand in the way of him getting to his mate. Or so he thought. He felt people approaching, but kept to his work. He felt pairs of hands, but kept moving. He kept going until the last moment, when he had to be sedated. Janeway couldn't decrypt his work, and since her Chief Engineer was gone, she had to do it with the help of a few lesser officers. It took them a long time. Too long, in fact. The deed on the planet had been "done."

"What is taking Lieutenant Paris and Lieutenant Torres so long?" Tuvok asked the first officer. "It is not logical to wait for so long."

Chakotay chuckled. "Tuvok, it's not like they're going to come out and say, 'okay guys. We're done.'"

If Tuvok was human, he probably would have smiled. But, Tuvok was not human, and his faced stayed in his normal expression. "Perhaps I should go make sure everything is going as planned."

"I don't think that's a good idea."

"Why not? If there is a problem..."

"Tuvok. You don't understand humans, and Klingons, well enough. Trust me, they're all right."

^I don't believe I'm doing this.^ Paris thought. After so long of restraining himself, it ended with Tuvok ordering him to 'help' Torres. It was almost funny. But, this was serious. It wasn't as enjoyable as it should have been. The fact that she had Pon Farr almost made him feel guilty. Like he was taking advantage of her. He wasn't though. Now, they were just lying down together. The Blood Fever, had been purged.

+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+

A week later, it was hard for Tom and B'Elanna to talk to each other without stammering or forgetting what they were saying. One day, however, Torres had something very important to tell Tom. Something that she could forget what she was saying. She had invited Paris over for dinner, and hoped to soften him up. She hoped he wouldn't take the upsetting news as badly as she had.

"So, what is this 'big news' you have to tell me?" Tom smiled. He was so naive, so unaware of the changes that were going to happen.

"Tom." She stopped, and breathed in deeply. "Tom." One more pause. This one was to figure out what to say. How to word it. "Tom, you're going to be a father."

He blinked in obvious shock. "Are you sure?"

"The doctor checked and double checked. I'm sorry."

Tom allowed his shock to turn to sympathy. "You've got nothing to be sorry about. If anyone should apologize, it's me." ^Or Vorik.^ He thought.

"I'm sorry, B'Elanna. It's my fault."

"No. It's not your fault..."

Paris stopped her words by placing a single finger on her lips. "We could spend all night arguing who's fault it was. Lets not. Let's just relax and think about what to do next, okay?"

She nodded her approval. "So, what do we do next?"

"We could go on a date." Paris offered.

Torres smiled although she was trying to keep a serious demeanor. "We could try that."

"Or, we could go further."

"How far?"

"That depends."

"On what?"

"On why you chose me on the planet?" Paris hoped his question hadn't upset her. Torres looked around the room, then allowed her eyes to meet with his.

"Why? Because you were there? No. Because I don't like Neelix? No. Because you're my best friend? Not that either. Because I love you. I meant what I said in those caves. I wanted you. I always have. I've trusted you since back when I was split in two. My human half fell in love that day. My Klingon gave in shortly after. I really had wanted it for so long. Why didn't you believe me?"

Paris suddenly realized the tables had turned. Now, their relationship rested on his response. "I didn't think you meant it. I've had a crush on you. No. That's not right. I've loved you since who knows when. Probably the first time I saw you. I never thought I was good enough for you. I tried to impress you, but you never seemed interested. I've tried everything. Nothing worked. I thought you had made it clear. I guess you didn't."

The hurt in Tom's eyes met the same feeling in B'Elanna's. Neither of them could tear away from each other. They both needed each other more than ever. More than in the caves even. They hadn't even realized how close they were until now. Mentally as well as physically. Torres had her hand on Tom's cheek, and Tom had one of his hands on the back of her head. Both had intended to pull away, but that didn't happen. Instead, they kissed. Tender and sweet, at first. Then, intense and passionate.

Pulling away after several moments, Torres asked an important question. "Where do we stand now, Tom?"

"I don't know. Where do you want to stand?"

She thought momentarily, before smiling and wrapping both arms around his neck. "As close together as we can."

TBC