Please see Part One for disclaimer, warnings, etc.

They Don't Know  Part 3
By Thomas Jesse Fournier 04/20/2001
 

The Doctor walked over to the surgically equipped biobed that Tom was unconsciously lying on. "Commander you may go now to your quarters, I will comm you to let you know how the surgery goes."

Captain Janeway walked over to Chakotay and said, "Why don't you come with me, I'll walk you to your quarters.  You have the night off."

"Okay, Doctor please comm me as soon as you're done."

"I just said I would." the doctor replied slightly testily.

Chakotay and Captain Janeway made their way back to the quarters that Chakotay and Tom shared. Once there, Chakotay bid Captain Janeway a good night, and entered their quarters. Everything was the not the same with Tom in surgery and not at the helm or here in their shared quarters.

Chakotay decided to meditate. Two hours later Chakotay felt much better. His talk with his spirit guide had settled his soul. He was feeling a little hungry so he got up and walked over to the replicator and ordered a grilled cheese sandwich and a bowl of mushroom soup. Comfort food as Tom called it. As he ate, he thought of all the time that he had known Tom. From the time he met Tom in that seedy bar and hired him to fly The Crazy Horse, to the present.

Back then he had thought Tom was a spoiled Starfleet brat who would do anything for a credit or two to buy the next drink. But since he had been reunited with Tom on board the Voyager, Chakotay had slowly come to respect and love him. It didn't happen overnight. They were four and a half years into this journey home, and he and Tom had only started dating five and a half months ago. Sometimes he still couldn't believe it himself. If someone had walked up to him that first day on the bridge and told him that one day he would be marrying Tom Paris he would have laughed at them. But here he was four and a half years later, and in less than two weeks he was going to marry the cocky pilot.

He stood up and gathered the dirty dishes from his late night snack.  Then walked over to the recycler and tossed them in. He was just about to lay down and try to rest when the door chime sounded.

Breeeeeeep bop

::Who would that be at this hour::  "Enter." The doors whooshed open and Tuvok stood there.

"Forgive me Commander for intruding at this late hour, but I may have shed some light on who may be responsible for Lieutenant Paris's injuries."

"Good, come in, I want to know exactly who I'll be throwing out the nearest airlock."

One of Tuvok's eyebrow's climbed high up his forehead as he replied, "Commander, the brig or counselling will have to suffice."

"I know Tuvok, but that's how I feel. I also have a suspicion about who did this to Tom."

"I would like to hear this before I explain who I believe the suspect is."

"Greg Ayala, he has wanted to be with me for years now. He is very jealous of Tom. Surely you remember the problems he caused before?"

"Yes, I do Commander. I went to Sandrines and spoke with Sandrine, she informed me that Tom was indeed in there earlier, as was Mr. Ayala. She also said that she seen him look at Tom with, as she put it, 'with pure hate in his eyes.' Mr. Ayala was also seen following Tom out of Sandrines."

"Sickbay to Commander Chakotay."

"Chakotay here." ::Please be good news.::

"Lieutenant Paris is out of surgery now and has pulled through remarkably well."

"Thank you doctor, I'll be right there."

"Commander I will accompany you to sickbay, I must speak with Lieutenant Paris when he wakes up." Tuvok stated as he turned and followed Chakotay to the door.

A few minutes later Chakotay and Tuvok showed up in sickbay and Chakotay immediately rushed to the biobed that Tom was occupying. He looked down at Tom's sleeping features and thanked the spirits that Tom was still alive. A couple of minutes later Tom's eyes fluttered open.

"Cha....glad to see you....Ayala...."

"Raped and beat you?"

"Yeah."  Tom nodded still groggy from surgery.

"I know babe, and he's going to pay."

Tuvok, seeing that Tom had awakened, made his way over to speak with him, "Please excuse me for interrupting, but I must speak to you Lieutenant, although first I would like to say that it is good to see that you are still with us."

"Thanks...s'okay....I want to talk to you too."

"Lieutenant Paris, do you know who your assailant was?"

"Yeah, Greg Ayala."

"You are certain."

"Yes."

"Well,  go throw him in the brig, before I space him."  Chakotay warned.

Tuvok raised an eyebrow but exited sickbay and went to arrest Ayala.

"Cha, calm down.  He hurt me 'cause he loves you."

"I know Tom, but that's no excuse for what he did."

"I know , I don't condone what he did.  I understand his motive though."

"I don't know how you can be so understanding, under the circumstances.  But that's one the things I love about you."

"Oh yeah, what are some other things you love about me?"

Chakotay leaned down and gently started to kiss his beloved.  They stopped just short of the kiss turning passionate. Which didn't take to long. Chakotay then held Tom and told him how happy he was that he was still alive.

"Cha I feel so violated.  Are you sure you still want to marry me?"

"Babe, of course I want to marry you.  I love you no matter what."

"I love you too Cha."

"You need some rest now.  We'll discuss this later, when you're feeling better."

"But..."

Hsssssss

The doctor had walked over and gave Tom a sedative.

"Thanks doc."

~^~^~^~

Eight hours later, Chakotay walked into sickbay.

"Good morning big man."

"Good morning."

"About what I said last night.  Are you sure that you still want me, I mean I am soiled goods now."

"Ssshhh love.  You are not soiled goods.  You are a good person with a generous heart.  You did not deserve what Ayala did to you."

"What did I do to deserve you?"

"Deserve me?  I am the one who doesn't deserve you."

"Cha don't talk like that.  You're a good person and......oh I see what you're doing.  Point taken."

"I love you Poocuh."

"I love you too Cha."
 

TBC in Part 4