Title: They Don't Know
Author: Thomas Jesse Fournier
Rating: PG13
Part: 1/?
Pairing: C/P

Summary: This story takes place in the same universe as my other story "Owed to Chakotay." It's a sequel of sorts. Most of this story is from Chakotay's point of view, but it skips to Tom's POV.

Warnings: Read this crap at your own risk!!! I was inspired again by a song. Story of my life! This time the song that sent me running to my computer was "They don't know about us." Sung by Tracy Ullman. I am also borrowing part of the song title for the title of my story. I mean no infringement Ms. Ullman, or to the writer of the song, if they are not one in the same.

Disclaimer: The characters in this story belong to Paramount, which belongs to Viacom. I am just borrowing them for some fun, I am not making any money at all from this. I promise to return the boys unharmed, and with big smiles on their faces. ;-)

Author's Note: Many thanks to Carole who helped me tidy up my writing. If there are any mistakes, they are mine.
This story was posted on ATPS, my apologies for making some of you read my stuff twice. To the rest of you, enjoy!


They Don't Know
by Thomas Jesse Fournier

04/17/2001

Spirits, I am bored tonight. Tom has been working beta shift this week. With me working the alpha shift we don't get to see one another during the day at all. Only at night. So for this last week it's been the same thing every night. I go to sleep around 2200 and Tom joins me just after his shift ends at midnight. We make love then fall asleep in each other's arms.
Then at 0700, I reluctantly get up, shower, get ready, and show up for my shift at 0800. My shift ends at 1600 and Tom's just starting his shift at the helm. We look at each other smile and that's it. Every day the same thing. I am the First Officer which means I make the duty rosters. So it doesn't have to be this way. But last week the Captain and I decided to rotate everyone's
schedule to give everyone a chance at different shifts. Captain Janeway included herself in the rotations.
She pulled a Gamma shift this week and is enjoying getting better acquainted with different crew members.


Tonight after I meditated, rather than read a book in our quarters, I decided to go to Sandrines. It's almost midnight and I was, up until a couple minutes ago, sharing a table with Kathryn. But she's off to Captain her ship. So here I sit, with ten minutes 'till midnight to wait through, waiting for Tom. I commed him earlier to let him know that I would be here waiting for him. Perhaps we'll play a quick round of pool before retiring to our quarters for the night. Harry goes over to the jukebox that Tom programmed for Sandrines, and this song starts playing.

You've been around for such a long time now
Oh baby I could leave you but I don't know how
And why should I be lonely every night
When I could be with you, oh yes you make it right
And I don't listen to the guys who say
That you're bad for me
And I should turn you away
'Cause they don't know about us
They've never heard of love


Usually I am not inspired by this type of music, but this song that Harry selected started me thinking about Tom, and what we mean to each other.

Five and a half months ago when we first started dating there was disapproval, especially amongst the Maquis, towards our relationship. The Maquis still thought Tom was a traitor and figured I could do a lot better. There were even a few who were against us because we are both men. Tom and I discussed the situation and I still remember his words:

// How can they judge us when they really don't know what's going on behind closed doors. They don't know us. They don't know the true depth of our feelings for one another.//

There were a couple of times where one particular crew member, Greg Ayala, gave Tom a really hard time. The situation eventually, after a nasty fight that got them both thrown in the brig, resolved itself. Tom admitted to me that he had found out that Greg was jealous of his relationship with me. Greg had been attracted to me for awhile and he didn't like the idea of Tom asking me out before he got the chance to.

I get a feeling when I look at you
Where ever you go now I want to be there too
They say we're crazy, but I just don't care
And if they keep on talking still they get no where
So I don't mind if they don't understand
When I look at you and you hold my hand


I am drawn back to the present. I notice there's only one person left in Sandrines. Harry Kim, who was on alpha shift with me today. Ken Dalby and Greg Ayala are just arriving from the same shift as Tom, so he should be arriving soon.

'Cause they don't know about us
They've never heard of love
Why should it matter to us if they don't approve
We should just take our chances while we've got nothing to loose
Baby, there's no need for living in the past
Now I found our love and I'm gonna make it last
I'll tell the others don't bother me
'Cause when they look at you, they don't see what I see
No I don't listen to their wasted lines
I've got my eyes wide open and I see the signs


It's pure magic when I look into Tom's blue eyes. When ever he goes on an away mission, I want to go with him. When we are on duty we can not always be together. It's ship's business as usual. Also a little time apart is good for us. 'Cause when we are together again after our shifts we appreciate one another even more. My former crew keeps trying to talk some sense in to me, as they put it. I just tell them to not bother me about it, they don't see the same person that I see when I look at Tom. He is kind, understanding, generous, fun to be with, not to mention the best lover I've ever had. Sometimes we like to sit in Sandrines together just holding hands, content in one other's company.

'Cause they don't know about us
They've never heard of love
No I don't listen to their wasted lines
I've got my eyes wide open and I see the signs
'Cause they don't know about us
They've never heard of love


I hear the doors to the holodeck open and look over and see Tom coming in. He smiles and winks at me then stops at the bar and greets Sandrine. She pours him a beer and he makes his way over to me.

"Hi Cha, how are you love?"

"Hi Tom, I'm good now that you're here." I reply with a smile on my face.

"You know Tom there was this song playing just now, and it reminded me of us and of our relationship."

"Really?"

"Yes the chorus went something like....they don't know about us, they've never heard of love."

"I know that song, it's by Tracy Ullman. I didn't know that you were in to music from the 1980's big man."

"It was just this song, the lyrics. Listen.....I get a feeling when I look at you, where ever you go now I want to be there too, they say we're crazy but I just don't care, and if they keep on talking still they get no where, so I don't mind if they don't understand, when I look at you and you hold my hand, 'cause they don't know about us, they've never heard of love." I pause, skip a to another
verse and continue to sing to him, "Now I found our love and I'm going to make it last, I'll tell the others don't bother me, 'cause when I look at you they don't see what I see, 'cause they don't know about us, they've never heard of love."

"Oh Cha! I love you so much!" Tom says as he enfolds me in a tight hug.

"Tom we've been together now for five and half months."

"That's right big man, five and a half months of pure bliss."

"For me too, I want to say something, promise me you will give it serious thought."

"Ooooooh this sounds serious."

"It is. Tom I love you very much, I want to go to bed every night holding you in my arms and wake up every morning and see you there beside me." I pause and take a breath. "I want to grow old with you." I pause again to get down on one knee. Tom notices this action and a tear escapes his eye to roll silently down his cheek. "Tom will you do me the honor of becoming my husband?"

"Oh Cha! I don't need to think about it at all." He then hugs me so hard that we both fall to the floor. "Yes, yes, yes I would love to be your husband!"

At the pool table Harry and Ken watch Tom and Chakotay and smile knowingly at one another. Ayala watchs with resentment in his eyes and a scowl on his face. As Tom and Chakotay pick themselves up off the floor, Ken and Harry walk over to their table.

"Hey you two, this looks pretty serious, anything you's might want to share?" Ken asks as he pulls out a chair and sits.

Harry follows suit and adds his two cents, "Yeah what's up?"

"Yes, there is definately something up." I reply with pride. "I just asked Tom to marry me."

"What?" Harry exclaims incredulously.

"Congratulations! I had no idea that it was this serious between you two. Myself and others just thought that this thing with Tom was just a fling. But if you want to marry Tom, then I trust your judgement. You were always an excellent judge of character Chakotay. If
anybody else still has doubts, I'll put them in their place. What do they know anyways?"

"Thank you Ken." I reply.

Tom looks over at Harry and asks, "Are you okay?"

"I'm a little shocked. But I am happy for you both."

"Thanks Harry." Tom responds.

"Wow, I never thought I would see the day that Ken Dalby approves of the big guy marrying me."

"It's true Tom, during that last mission when you almost sacrificed your life for me, I realized that you are not that bad a guy. You sure saved my sorry ass when I broke my leg falling in that damn trench."

"It's too bad that it takes circumstances like that to make people realize that I am not a traitor. But thanks Ken. I'm glad I have you on my side now."

"Well I hate to break up this mutual admiration society you guys have going, but it's getting really late." I throw Tom a look of pure love equally mixed with pure lust. He catches on instantly.

"Yup, it's time to hit the hay, goodnight Ken, goodnight Harry."

"Goodnight gentlemen." I chime in.

"Goodnight guys, have a good sleep." Ken replies with a teasing gleam in his
eyes.

"Have a *good* sleep." Harry adds.

"We will." Tom answers with a smile.

We exit the holodeck and head toward our quarters holding hands and not caring what anyone thinks if they come across us like that.

"Cha, do you think the Captain will approve of our relationship."

"I don't see any problems from her."

"Good 'cause she's the only one with the power to marry us."

"Why would you be worried about her, Tom?"

"You know, the fraternization regs, and we are in a homosexual relationship."

"The regulations against homosexual relationships are outdated, and the fraternization regulations have been ignored. Even Kathryn has been ignoring them, didn't you know that she started something with Seven of Nine?"

"What! When? Well I guess that answers my question."

"Don't worry Tom, when I see Kathryn at our usual breakfast meeting I am going to ask her to marry us, she and Seven started dating about a week after we did. You didn't know?"

"I didn't have a clue. Geez usually I know everything that goes on around this ship."

"That's because you haven't been seeing a lot of Harry and B'Elanna lately, they were always your source of information weren't they?"

"Yes they were. Gonna have to do something about that, I hate missing out on all the juicy gossip."

~^~^~^~

Chakotay's POV

The next morning when Tom and I enter the mess hall everyone stops talking and looks our way.

"I guess Ken has been spreading the news." Tom quips.

"Well let's just get our breakfast and then I'll go and have my talk with Kathryn. You know Tom you didn't have to get up since your shift doesn't start till later."

"I know but I wanted to be with you or at least nearby when you talk to the Captain."

"Good morning to you gentlemen, what would you like for breakfast this morning." Neelix looks happier than he usually does, which is sickening at this early hour.

"Just some toast and coffee will do for me." I answer

"Yeah me too." Tom says as he's eyeing the neon orange porridge that Neelix is trying to serve.

"Are you sure? breakfast is the most important meal of the day."

"Yes I'm sure." We both say at almost the same time.

"All right then." He pours us each a coffee and makes some toast. "Here you go gentlemen, enjoy."

"Thanks Neelix." We both answer.

"Well I am going to go and join Kathryn."

"Yeah, I'll go and sit with Harry and B'Elanna."

~^~^~^~

Chakotay's POV

At the Captain's table.

"Good morning, Kathryn."

"Good morning, Chakotay."

"I have something that I need to discuss with you this morning."

"Ships business or personal?"

"It's a personal matter."

"Okay go ahead."

"Well... as you know Tom and I have been seeing one another for a few months now."

"Five and a half months, yes I know."

"How do you know it's been five and a half months exactly?" I ask incredulously.

"I know because I was there the day in the messhall when Tom asked you out. It got me thinking about my feelings for Seven and I asked her out one week later."

"Oh. How are things with you and Seven?"

"Couldn't be better."

"Glad to hear it."

"Now what do you want to ask me about Chakotay."

"Kathryn, last night in Sandrines I asked Tom to marry me."

"And he said yes and you would like me to perform your marriage ceremony."

"You took the words right out of my mouth." I say with a smile.

"I would be honored to marry you and Tom."

~^~^~^~

Tom's POV

At Harry's and B'Elanna's table.

"Good morning Harry, B'El, how are you guys today." I say as I slide in across from them. ::They sure are looking chummy:: I think to myself.

"We're great, but the real question is how are you?" Harry answers as he and B'Elanna look at one another and smile.

"Huh, do you guys know something that I don't?"

"Harry told me that he saw you and Chakotay at Sandrines last night." B'Elanna informs me.

"Oh I see, so then you two already know that Chakotay proposed to me."

"Yes we already know, sorry, but you know how news travels on this ship." B'Elanna says with a smile.

"At warp speed, and some of it just zooms right by me."

"What do you mean Tom." Harry asks.

"Well for instance, the Captain is dating someone, and no one told me."

"Mmm, you mean Seven right?"

"Yes B'El, I mean Seven, see?" I say as I throw my hands up in the air. "You guys knew and never told me."

"Well, we don't see too much of you these days." Harry says.

"Mmmhhmm, but you two seem to have been seeing a lot of each other though. Care to tell me anything?"

Harry and B'Elanna both blush and I know I've hit paydirt. "Come on fess up."

"We started dating a couple of weeks ago, but didn't want to say anything yet. It's still so new and we weren't sure where it will go." Harry says.

"I am happy for you both, I think you make a great couple. I'll be attending your wedding and Harry you had better ask me to be your best man."

"Of course, I can't think of anyone else who would be better. Speaking of best men, who's yours?"

"Well I was thinking of asking you Harry."

"Just thinking or actually asking?"

"I'm actually asking, Harry."

"I'm accepting."

"You guys make me want to puke." B'Elanna says with a disgusted yet happy look on her face.

We all laugh and then Chakotay gets up and comes over to our table and joins us. He looks at us as he's sliding in beside me, smiles and asks, "Did I miss a good joke?"

"No, it's one of those things where you had to be there." I answer.

"I'll take your word for it then Tom."

"Did you talk to the Captain?" I ask.

"Yes, she said that she would be honored to marry us."

I breath a major sigh of relief. "Good, then we need to set a date."

"Yes, but we can discuss that later, I want to ask B'Elanna something."

B'Elanna looks a little surprised but answers, "What do want to ask me Chakotay?"

"I need a best man, I would like you to do the honors."

"I would love to be your best man, even though I'm a woman."

"That doesn't matter because you are my best friend B'Elanna and it's tradition that a man asks his best friend to be best man."

"Thank you Chakotay, you know I love you too."

"Okay, enough mushy stuff you guys." I say with a smile.

"Oh Tom be quiet, we all know that you're the biggest mush ball of them all." B'Elanna says.

"Ssshh, don't tell the whole world I have a reputation to uphold."

"Well I for one have to get to the bridge." Chakotay says.

"See ya later sweetums." I quip.

"I'll see you later Poocuh."

B'Elanna and Harry also get up to leave, each to their destinations. Meanwhile since I don't have to work until 4:00pm, I decide to go back to our quarters and try to get some more sleep. As I am laying in bed I decide that since we really don't know what the
next day will hold, that we should get married as soon as possible. Every day in the DQ could be the last. Some of these aliens that we run in to just like to shoot first and ask questions later. Which is how we lose people sometimes. So I decide that two weeks from now on the day of our sixth month anniversary would be perfect. I hope Chakotay agrees.

~^~^~^~

Chakotay's POV

Several hours later. A little after midnight to be exact. Tom comes back to our quarters and tells me that he has selected what he hopes the perfect date for our wedding.

"You see Cha, I was thinking that the perfect day for us to get married would be on the exact day of our six month anniversary."

"That sounds perfect, Poocuh."

"Good then it's settled."

"Come here then and let me hold you."

"Mmmm, only if it leads to something more."

"Like what." I ask innocently.

"Like this!" Tom says as he pounces on me and starts to kiss me passionately. He then goes to work at undressing me slowly, alternately kissing and nibbling each new body part that he uncovers.

"I like where this is leading." My voice trembles as the parts of my body that Tom is kissing or touching are being lit on fire.

As we love one another, our bodies and souls join together becoming one soul, one heart. We climb higher and higher together in ecstasy. Drawing ever nearer to the pinnacle. Then both at the nearly the same time, we reach the edge and fall headlong in to the most beautiful climax. Basking in the afterglow of superb lovemaking we lay cuddling afterwards. We eventually fall asleep holding
each other.

~^~

TBC