Rebels

This story is dedicated to Jeri Taylor. She wrote the book " Pathways " and that's where I got the idea for this story.
Author : Andrea Castro
Author's Note : Star Trek : Voyager and all their characters belong to the almighty Paramount.
Also if you have been to P/T Collective and found a story by me with this same title, it's not the same. I changed it around but I already sent the original one there.
Summary : Tom's time in the Maquis. What if Tom wasn't a womanizer?
---------------------------------------------
" You can dream You can believe You can soar You can defy You can rebel "
---------------------------------------------
Tom was sitting alone in Sandrines working on his fourth beer. He really didn't now what else could go wrong in his life. " Are you alone? " Tom looked up to see a man with short, black hair with some kind of tattoo on the side of his face
" Why do you ask? " The stranger just sat doen across from Tom and did what he came to do.
" I have an offer for you " He said. " I'm not interested " Tom already got in a fight 
yesterday with some Bajoran for not leaving him the hell alone.
" Just hear me out. My name is Chakotay." " Tom Paris." he said sipping his beer. " I already know about you." Chakotay said. Tom looked up and the older man and sat down his beer. " Really? And what exacly do you know about me Chakotay ? " 
" Do three Starfleet officers in a shuttle accident ring a bell ? Pilot error ? " The look on Chakotay 's face said he really didn't want to do this but didn't have a choice. " Anyway , I didn't come here to talk about bitter pasts. The group I 'm with needs good pilots. "
" And what group is that? " Tom asked. Chakotay told him about what was going on near the Cardassian border. He said a number of colonists didn't agree with the treaty between them and the Federation. That they were stranded in the new demilitarized zone. When the colonists wouldn't leave their planets, the Cardassians made their lives hell. They raided the planets and harassed the people.
A huge group of species were banding together : Ktarians, Humans, Bolians, Federation Species, and some Vulcans. There are thousands of them and they call themselves the Maquis. Chakotay was part of that group and heard of a Starfleet pilot drinking away his days in Marseillis, France.
" You'd get to fly again " Chakotay finished.
' What the hell ? You don't have anything else to do ' he thought. " Sure " 
Chakotay laughed. 
" Welcome to the Maquis "
---------------------------------------------
" Chakotay to Liberty , two to beam up " . " Aye, sir " .
" I'll have to warn you. Some of my crew doesn't like me to replace people. Others say the more the merrier. But you should watch out for my engineer. She might like having you aboard or she'll probably beat the crap out of you. It depends on the mood she's in. Be careful. " Chakotay said.
They beamed to the Liberty and Tom saw a man taller than him with black hair and looked like he could beat the crap out of him. " Paris , this is Ayala. He's one of my Security officers. Ayala , this is Tom Paris. He's our new pilot " 
They shook hands and Ayala leaned in and told Tom a thing he should really pay attention to 
" Be careful of the Chief Engineer "
' This engineer can't be that bad' he thought. He followed Chakotay all the way to Engineering and they walked inside. Every set of eyes turned to Tom.
" B'Elanna?" Chakotay shouted.
" What? " 
Tom guessed Chakotay was following the sound of her voice. They stopepd in front of a console where Tom saw two legs sticking out from underneath.
" What do you want Chakotay? I'm busy here " she said. " B'Elanna you can finish that later so stand up " Tom heard a few Klingon curses as she crawled out from under the console. 
Tom had to lean against the bulkhead to keep from falling. She was beautiful. Short brown hair that flowed under her chin and big brown eyes. " B'Elanna Torres, this is Tom Paris. Our new pilot. Paris, this is B'Elanna. My Chief Engineer. " 
" Is he supposed to replace Setonak? " B'Elanna asked. Chakotay was rattling on now answering her question but B'Elanna couldn't pay attention. She could feel Tom's eyes watching her. But she had to admit.... he has the bluest eyes she's ever seen. " Even if Setonak does leave Vulcan we don't know if he'll still want to join the Maquis again. He was only here for a week. " Chakotay said to B'Elanna.
B'Elanna sighed and fought the Klingon anger that was there and looked at Tom. " Welcome to Maquis " she smiled. 
" Glad to be here " he said with a twinlke in his eye. " Come on Paris I'll show you to your quarters " Chakotay walked out of Engineering and Tom followed. 
B'Elanna was still standing in the same spot with her engineers starring at her.
" Ok back to work!" she yelled. ' Damn'
-------------------------------------------

The next day :
Tom woke up and was ready to start the day. He crawled out of bed and ordered some coffee from his replicator. Tom grabbed the cup and looked at the chronometer. It was 0900 hours. He's shift didn't start till 1200. He took a sip of the coffee and sat on the edge of his bed. 
" Computer, where are B'Elanna Torres' quarters? "
" Deck 2 , Section 5 "
Tom's eyes widened. His quarters were on the same deck and section. " Not far from the doors of heaven " he whispered. He put his coffee on his night stand and went to take a shower.
------------------------------------------------
B'Elanna was up and raring to go but her duty shift didn't start till 1204 hours. ' It wouldn't kill you to go in 3 hours early would it? ' she thought. " Uh...Computer , play music selection music selection Torres 28 "
"Acknowledged "

" Yo te juro que mis intenciones fueron buenas
y si tu no quisiste mi amor, que le vamos a hacer
me retiro para ver si llegas
a encontrar lo que nunca de ti
pero quiero que sapes que yo te amo solo a ti "

B'Elanna didn't know when it started but spanish music always relaxed her. Her father always played Mexican music from around the 20th Century. But his favorite was this one singer named Selena. She guessed she got used to hearing it. She was playing Selena right now and only liked her songs.

" Si algun dia tus pasos te llevan a mi puerta
solo puedo decir que mis brazos
siempre abri para ti
porque no soy capaz de ofenderte, rechazarte o burlame de ti 
pero quiero que sepas que yo te amo solo a ti " 
-----------------------------------------------
Tom was now fully dressed and sat down on his couch. " Computer, what is B'Elanna Torres' duty schedule for today? " he asked.
" Engineering -1204 to 1856 
Bridge - 1900 to 2709 "
" Damn this woman is all work " . Still, she wasn't due in Engineering till 1204. " Paris to Torres " Tom said pressing the tiny combadge that blended in with their uniforms. " Um... go ahead " she mumbled. Tom smiled thinking he caught her off guard. " I was just wondering if you would like to join me for breakfast in my quarters." He said calmly. There was a long pause before she answered.
" Sure." 
" Great . I expect you to be here in 5 minutes Paris out "
Tom yet again couldn't help but smiling. He went over to his replicator and got everything ready.
----------------------------------------------
' Breakfast in his quarters, Torres ' . She couldn't stop thinking about that . ' Should you change or stay in uniform. She walked into the bathroom and just looked at herself in the mirror . " Ugly "
" It doesn't matter what I wear he's not intrested in me and vice versa ." 
B'Elanna looked at herself again in the mirror but her reflection seemed to be talking to her. 
" Yeah, right" it said.
----------------------------------------------
Everthing was ready . Now he was just waiting for B'Elanna. Scrambled eggs and banana pancakes. His mother used to make them for him as a kid. Not replicated though.
But he had no idea if B'Elanna would like it. And of course , a steaming pot of coffee.
" Computer notify me when it's 1155 " . " Acknowledged "
Can't be late the first day on the job. Just then his door chimed. 
-------------------------------------------------
For some reason, B'Elanna was nervous and didn't know why. ' You are NOT attracted to him, Torres'
her mind screamed. " Oh my god " she said placing her hands over her face. ' Damn ridges '.
B'Elanna sighed and pressed the call button outside Tom's quarters. The doors opened to reveal Tom leaning against the table. " About time " he joked.
" Hey you're the one who said 5 minutes." she joked back walking towards him. " Ah... well next time I 'll just have to get you myself when I'm ready." Tom smiled. " Oh.. really? " B'Elanna asked raising one eyebrow. 
Tom was holding back from laughing and pulled out a chair for B'Elanna and grabbed her hand. He guided her into the chair and took the seat next to her. " Looks good " she said. " Thanks I replicated it myself. " B'Elanna smiled and took a sip of the coffee. She took a quick glance at Tom and saw him starring at her adoringly. " What? " she asked.
" You have a beautiful smile. " He said. She blushed slightly but knew he was lying. " No I don't "
" Yes you do " . " Don't " . " Do". " Ok this isn't going anywhere! " B'Elanna yelled. She looked more carefully at the breakfast and gasped . Tom followed her gaze and starred at it : banana pancakes.
" You replicated banana pancakes. " B'Elanna smiled. " You like them? " Tom asked happily.
" My grandmother made them for me when I was a kid. It always put a smile on my face somehow. "
" Well , I'm lucky then. I get to see that beautiful smile every time you take a bite." Tom smiled.
Of course, the response Tom wanted he got. She laughed. Which , like the rest of her, was beautiful.
---------------------------------------------
Chakotay walked on to the Bridge and headed towards Hogan. " Report " he demanded. " We've detected two Cardassian war ships 24 light years away. They'll be in weapons range with us in 3 hours." 
' Great. Fucking great ' he thought. " Well lets try to get those warp engines up and running again from the last fight. If we don't have them repared by then ... we 'll fight . But just in case have all senior officers report to the Bridge at 1200." Chakotay said sitting at the Helm. " Aye , sir "
----------------------------------------------
Tom and B'Elanna finished their breakfast and were sitting on Tom's couch , drinking coffee.
Talking about their pasts, why they joined the Maquis, and members of the Maquis.
" So what is with Hogan? " Tom asked. " Hogan's a nice guy. If anything happened to Chakotay , he would be the one in the Captain's chair. He's been here as long as Chakotay and proved himself worthy of the Maquis. " B'Elanna said sipping the last of her coffee.
" Do you want to dance? " Tom asked placing his coffee on the table.
B'Elanna thought about what he said, thinking she didn't hear him right. " You want to dance? It's..."
B'Elanna glanced at the chronometer and it read 1149 hours. " 11:49 " She finished.
" So what? " Tom grabbed B'Elanna's coffee and placed it next to his. Still holding on to her hand,he pulled her up and brought her close to his body. " We'll just pick music from your file. Computer, play music selection Torres....Beta "

" I see the distant lights ahead
Another hour or so I'll be back in bed
I guess I really thought that I was gone for good
But you know I never could "

" I count the headlights passing by
But everyone I find another reason why
You'll be sound asleep and I'll look like a fool
How could I be so cruel "

Both of their bodies were just swaying with the music. Though, it was the first time they ever danced together, they both felt this need to stay. To never let go.

" Only love could make me turn around
and make these tears 
Come tumbling down oh come tumbling down
Only Love "
" Only love could make you stay with me
I doubt myself that you'd believe
Only Love "
" I wish that I could be that strong
You see me as I am and love me right or wrong
I guess I'm still afraid to only say good bye just to say good bye
So I keep it all inside "

" Only love could make me turn around
and make these tears 
Come tumbling down oh tumbling down
Only Love "
" Only love could make you stay with me
I doubt myself that you'd believe
Only Love "
" Only love 
So I try to run but no matter what I do
I know it 's true I can't go on without you " 

" Only love could make you stay with me
I doubt myself that you'd believe
Only Love "
" Only love could make me turn around
and make these tears 
Come tumbling down oh tumbling down
Only Love "
" Only love could make you stay with me
I doubt myself that you'd believe
Only Love " 
" Only love could make me turn around
and make these tears 
Come tumbling down oh tumbling down
Only Love "

As the song stopped , B'Elanna tried to pull away but Tom held her in his arms.
" Pretty strong words " he whispered. " Who sang it? " Tom asked finally letting her go.
" Selena " B'Elanna said walking towards the couch and sitting down. 
" Never heard of her." Tom sat right next to B'Elanna wanting to hear more about this singer.
" She was killed in 1995. She was only 23 . My father always played her music when I was little and I got used to hearing it. Almost my whole music data base has her songs " 

---- " All senior officers report to the Bridge " ----

--------------------------------------------------------TO BE CONTINUED ------------------------------------------------------------
- Only Love by Selena Quintanilla Perez
April 16, 1971 - March 30, 1995 

" I see the distant lights ahead
Another hour or so I'll be back in bed
I guess I really thought that I was gone for good
But you know I never could "

" I count the headlights passing by
But everyone I find another reason why
You'll be sound asleep and I'll look like a fool
How could I be so cruel "

" Only love could make me turn around
and make these tears 
Come tumbling down oh come tumbling down
Only Love "

" Only love could make you stay with me
I doubt myself that you'd believe
Only Love "

" I wish that I could be that strong
You see me as I am and love me right or wrong
I guess I'm still afraid to only say good bye just to say good bye
So I keep it all inside "

" Only love could make me turn around
and make these tears 
Come tumbling down oh tumbling down
Only Love "

" Only love could make you stay with me
I doubt myself that you'd believe
Only Love "

" Only love 
So I try to run but no matter what I do
I know it 's true I can't go on without you " 

" Only love could make you stay with me
I doubt myself that you'd believe
Only Love "

" Only love could make me turn around
and make these tears 
Come tumbling down oh tumbling down
Only Love "

" Only love could make you stay with me
I doubt myself that you'd believe
Only Love " 

" Only love could make me turn around
and make these tears 
Come tumbling down oh tumbling down
Only Love "