Arms Reach
by Andrea Castro

Chapter 2 - Liberation 

" Someone to help her through it ? " B'Elanna scoffed. " Actually , that might be a good idea. Tom was with you during most of those events . He could help you through it . " The Captain suggested . B'Elanna started to object but the Doctor cut her off . " She is ready to leave Sick Bay . Mr. . Paris could take her back to her quarters and start tomorrow to help her . " 

Captain Janeway nodded and looked at Tom . " Does that sound alright , Lieutenant ? " She asked . " Absolutely . " He grinned . " Okay ... don't I get a say in this ? " B'Elanna asked looking at all three of them . " Yes , B'Elanna ? " The Captain asked . " Never mind. It's not like I can say anything to stop you anyway . " She sighed. " Alright. Let's go." Tom said . 

B'Elanna mumbled all the way out of Sick Bay with Tom by her side. " Can I ask you something... Tom was it ? " B'Elanna said a few moments later . " Sure . " Tom pressed the call button for the turbo lift and waited . " What kind of name is B'Elanna ? " She asked .

The turbo lift doors opened and Tom stepped inside . B'Elanna stood outside the door , unsure . " It's not going to hurt you . " Tom reassured her. " I know that . " She spat then walked inside . " Deck 9 . " Tom said to the computer. 
" It's Klingon . " He replied . " My name ? " B'Elanna asked . Tom nodded then cleared his throat. 

" When I looked at my file , it said I was half- Human and half - Klingon . What do Humans look like ? " She asked . The turbo lift doors opened and Tom made his way to Section 12 with B'Elanna right behind him . " Humans look like me and The Captain . She was the woman in Sick Bay with us . " Tom explained. Now B'Elanna looked completely lost. "Wait ... What about Kes ? She didn't look Human? " 

Tom smiled . " That's because she's not . She's Ocampan . " He stopped outside B'Elanna's quarters and typed in an access code but the computer rejected it . " Well , what do Klingons look like ? ". " You want to be specific ? Internally or externally ? " Tom told her . " There's that much of a difference ? " B'Elanna starred at Tom . 
The computer rejected the fifth access code he tried to put in there and now he was getting frustrated . 

" Now what are you doing? " B'Elanna smirked . Tom laughed. " I'm trying to get these damn doors open . " 
B'Elanna had to fight back the smile forming on her face . " It doesn't look like it's working . " 
" Ha ha . " Tom said sarcastically as the computer finally accepted an access code . "Got it ! " Tom shouted . B'Elanna was looking at him now like he was crazy . She walked into her quarters but saw nothing but darkness. 

" Computer, standard illumination . " Tom said from beside her . The lights surrounded her quarters and B'Elanna walked around . " She's got taste . " She mumbled . B'Elanna saw a PADD on the table and picked it up . " ' Woman Warriors at the River of Blood ' . I take back what I said about taste . " B'Elanna laughed . 

Tom watched her look around and commit everything to memory like he was right now remembering her access code. " Uh you should get some sleep so I'll be back tomorrow , okay ? " He said . " Sure . " B'Elanna replied . Tom nodded and left her quarters. B'Elanna turned around and watched the stars fly by her window and sighed . ' This isn't going to be easy ' She thought . 

TBC