Title: Infamy
Contact: kelhapam@worldpath.net
Series: VOY
Rating: G
Code: Crew
Part: 1/1 NEW
Date: 17 Sept 2001

Summary: In remembrance of September 11, 2001.

Disclaimer:   Voyager owns all the characters, etc., I am just
using the characters for a moment in time.

Email:  kelhapam@worldpath.net

Posting:  OK to ASC.   Please notify me if you
post anywhere else.

Special thanks to my beta reader: Ronda.

Infamy
9/01

With a sigh of remorse and tears stinging her eyes, Janeway turned to her First Officer.  "Please send my condolences to the government.  Tell them we just couldn't get here in time."

Chakotay nodded.

"And see if there is anything we can do to assist in the relief effort.  I'm afraid our journey home will be delayed for a while."

"Everyone will understand, Captain," Tom piped up softly, his own voice choked with emotion.  "The crew will want to do all they can to help."

"I know, Tom.  Thank you.  I just wish we had been able to get here in time. The devastation is enormous."  Janeway looked at the viewscreen.  She recalled the desperate cry for help they had received mere minutes before. Already she could see the trails of smoke that emanated from the horrific
accident that had befallen the blue planet over which they orbited.  Several airborne transports had crashed into various large buildings across one half of the planet below.

"News reports are coming in," Harry reported.  He too was suffering from a combination of disbelief and sadness.  "The country that was hit is reporting that a group of terrorists are responsible."

The bridge crew sat motionless, interrupted only when the door to the turbolift slid open.

B'Elanna walked onto the bridge, she also looked shaken by what had recently occurred.  "I've organized groups of engineers and technicians to beam down to the planet to offer assistance," she told her captain.

"Excellent work, B'Elanna.  They'll need all the help they can get.  Mr. Tuvok, please arrange to transport any supplies they may require, and inform the Doctor that we will be expecting many injured for treatment at any moment."  She didn't want to think of how many people had lost their lives below, or how many people had suffered injuries.  There would be children
without one or both parents.  Parents who would lose their sons and  daughters.  So much sadness and so much to do right now.  No time to properly grieve.

"Aye, Captain," the stoic Vulcan replied.  He too could not hide the sadness in his voice.

"Captain?"

"What is it, Tom?"

"Do you know the date?"

Janeway looked puzzled but replied, citing the current stardate.

"No, Captain, the other date."

"No, Lieutenant, I don't recall the old date."

"If I'm not mistaken it's September 11."

Janeway looked stunned and then refocused on the planet below.  "Oh my god," she breathed before she bowed her head.

The bridge crew collectively lowered their heads, both in prayer for what had just occurred in their time, and for what had occurred on September 11, 2001.

Janeway was the one to finally break the silence.  Looking up, she could see that the faces of the bridge crew, save for Tuvok's, were wet with tears--her own included.

"People," the Captain began.  "It's time to get to work."
 

The End.